BITS N BYTES

Sysmac Studio Improvement Request

232 posts in this topic

That's from December, for one specific issue.  1.18 should be out next month.

been waiting for this!

This SHL instruction error (nothing on the output) should cause a compiler error:

Also, When doing a program synchronize, most times the variables are not cleared, sometimes they are. The software should warn the user if the variables will be cleared, and offer an opportunity to back them up before they are lost.

Capture.JPG

Variables are not cleared when synchronizing.  Retained variables are maintained unless you check the box to clear retained variables.

Why is it an error not to use the output?  Makes no sense not to, but it's not illegal code.  Compiler errors on illegal  code.

I disagree with the retained variables. I have never set the checkbox to clear present values. I have an array called Lane_Control[1..624,1..25] the data type is a structure with 11 members. It very often is cleared when I make vast off-line changes. It seems to happen when I add or remove a fair number of Global Variables.

It may not be illegal code, but the SHL instruction does not work. An instruction that does not work should be illegal.

In older versions of Studio, if you changed the size of an array or added elements to a structure it could clear the contents.  I know they changed that, but I cannot remember which version the change was made in.

It is good to know that it has been fixed. I am running 1.16. I had problems with the web update function before and had to get an ISO file from tech support. I will see if that issue has been fixed.

I would like Sysmac Studio / Omron to properly implement EtherCAT devices from third parties.

EtherCAT is supposed to be non-proprietry but components are validated by the ETG (EtherCAT Technology Group) as far as I understand it. However, it is common for me to use third party devices (especially Beckhoff) when an Omron alternative is not available. In may cases, Sysmac Studio complains that the .esi is "not supported yet" for a multitude of reasons.

I would be inclinded to think that the .esi for a Beckhoff device is correct, since they invented EtherCAT in the first place.

Of course, talkng to either party blames the other. This is very frustrating. Either Omron complies with the ETG (of which it is a member) or it doesn't. It would appear that it doesn't 100% do that yet with third parties.

Edited by Andy_P

Interesting, haven't run into that once yet.  I've had no problems but mostly used SMC third party devices.

On 5/7/2017 at 7:43 PM, Andy_P said:

I would be inclinded to think that the .esi for a Beckhoff device is correct, since they invented EtherCAT in the first place.

You would think, but AB invented EtherNet/IP and they don't follow all the rules for EIP..... namely the part about requiring an EDS file.  One thing about Omron, they are a stickler for the rules.

10 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

One thing about Omron, they are a stickler for the rules.

Fair enough. However in this case, it means that either Omron is not telling the whole truth, or Beckhoff is not sticking to the rules.

In each case, neither side is admitting to any mistakes. That puts end-users in a no-win situation.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:52 AM, Andy_P said:

Fair enough. However in this case, it means that either Omron is not telling the whole truth, or Beckhoff is not sticking to the rules.

In each case, neither side is admitting to any mistakes. That puts end-users in a no-win situation.

I had one experience about ESI file from a certain 3rd party product. As you probably may know, most servos / inverters that use EtherCAT use the CoE / Can Over EtherCAT protocol.
The rule given by EtherCAT Corp. is that an ESI file should only contain One Definition of CoE inside the Mailbox section (you can try opening an ESI with Notepad to see what I mean).
This certain vendor provides Two Definitions of CoE inside it's Mailbox section, thus the ESI is rejected by Sysmac Studio.

However for some reason Beckhoff's is able to recognize the ESI without fail, so in regards to the "sticking to the rule", in a way Omron is better.
I managed to resolve the issue by manually editing the ESI, although it is actually kinda risky to do so if we thinking about "proper usage" and legal issues.

Back on the thread Topic :

There were some occasions when you are switching between editing NA HMI to the PLC (either NJ/NX) that the layout of Sysmac Studio doesn't completely changed to PLC Editor.
In my case, sometimes the Page Explorer and Properties tab from the HMI Editor still shows up.

Just last week when this happened again, closing the Page Explorer in the PLC Editor will make Sysmac Studio crashed. The Recovery function did work, but when I tried to open the file, Sysmac Studio crashed again. The crash must be something related to the unexpected layout view of the software.

Luckily the programs already transferred to the hardwares so backing it up is not hard.

Oh, and this had happened since the 1.13 version, but still occurred in the latest 1.18 version

I noticed in 1.18 when I switch from the HMI back to the NJ that Page Explorer, Properties, Events, and Animations remained open and didn't stay in their panes like in 1.17.  

in 1.17, they would stay open but remain behind the toolbox and multiview explorer windows.

Just can't seem to repeat it right now to send to tech support.

The ability to view the status of variables in variable tables when you are online would be good.

The ability to reference a WORD, DWORD, etc at the bit level directly.

e.g. if myVar is of type DWORD, then being able to do this would be good:

myVar.1 := TRUE;

myVar.31 := FALSE;

etc.

(Yes, I know you can use OutABit, SetABit etc, but this would look a lot more elegant and user-friendly, IMHO.)

Andy_P,

Not exactly what you are asking for, but;

Create a Union (Mine is called DWord_Bit)

Member 1 = DWD - Base Type = DWORD

Member 2 = Bit = Base Type = Array[0..31] Of BOOL

Then when you create a variable myVar1, use Data Type DWord_Bit

For Dword operations 'myVar1.DWD' := DWORD#16#123F;

For bit operations 'myVar1.Bit[1] := True;

On the second instance of SS V1.18 running on the same computer, after synchronizing a project, the 'Initializing the Table Watch Window' message came up. It has been there for 3 hours. I had to End the task with the Task Manager. Backing up Variables sometimes takes 30+ minutes.

Still need to fix the keyboard handling routine so text can be entered faster while online. 

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, twstevic said:

Still need to fix the keyboard handling routine so text can be entered faster while online. 

+1 to that.

Trying to type when online is like wading through treacle.

On 5/31/2017 at 2:33 AM, twstevic said:

On the second instance of SS V1.18 running on the same computer, after synchronizing a project, the 'Initializing the Table Watch Window' message came up. It has been there for 3 hours. I had to End the task with the Task Manager. Backing up Variables sometimes takes 30+ minutes.

Capture.JPG

Looking at it, the problem occurred due to so many contents in your Watch Window.
Never had such problems, but I usually never open up any Watch Window on startup. It may overloading the RAM

I also have never experienced this particular issue.

1 person likes this

Looking at it, the problem occurred due to so many contents in your Watch Window.
Never had such problems, but I usually never open up any Watch Window on startup. It may overloading the RAM

I believe this is the case. I had this happen when watching a very large multi-dimension Structure. It's fine when I first created it but if I go offline then back online it will take some time to initialize.