Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dunc

Q2as keyword addition problem!?

20 posts in this topic

i have been going round our site adding keywords to all the PLC's to help with revision control and stop people fiddling. All have been perfectly fine until I got to a couple of Q2as cpus that were installed by some German company that has gone under. the issue I am having is that the keyword wont be accepted as it informs me that the PLC has run out of memory? I have never had this issue before. I am aware that PLC cpu's have a finite memory but have never had any that have been so close to the limit that they wont accept anything more. other than the obvious, deleting parts of the program, is there anything I can do to free up enough space to allow the keyword to be accepted? thanks

exact message is: Insufficient file capacity. Execute again after deleting unnecessary files. <ES:01024029> I have tried arrange plc memory and that made no difference :(

Never seen it before, have you tried formatting the entire memory, then re-downloading? If that doesn't help I think you'll need a bigger memory/CPU

I think that will have to be the next plan. I find it strange that we were supplied a system that is already at its maximum capacity from new, that is why I thought it could have been something I was missing!?!? the program isn't really all that big either, perhaps all the comments are stored on there or something? will report back if I get anywhere with it. thanks

right had another go. formatted the PLC memory and then tried to add the keyword, this worked ok. then when I went to reload the program was told it had run out of memory and noticed a program section was missing from the PLC memory. formatted again and out the program back in first, did an arrange memory and then tried the keyword, still no luck. how much room does a keyword take up? is there any other way to protect the program from alteration other than by using the keyword? looks like this company tried to save as much money as possible by fitting a CPU with the minimal amount of memory they could get away with :(

1. Which CPU? 2. Have you downloaded the comments, or without comments?

1. according to the program it is a Q2AS(H), I can get exact model number if that helps? 2. as far as I can tell it is without comments, the 'device comments' tick box was not ticked when downloading. thanks

1. Well, if upgrading the CPU could be a solution then the specific CPU would be interesting (to verify if there exists a bigger one) 2. Then I'm out of ideas, cannot say I can think of anything else to save space in the CPU

right, removed CPU and all it has is Q2ASCPU Max 28kstep checked the step number total of the program manually and it has 6675 steps spread across 21 programs within the main 'program' heading. that is nowhere near the limit number of steps!?!? could there be any settings affecting this? could a software limit be imposed on the memory capacity within the parameters somewhere? it is a bit frustrating. I have gone over the entire site and it is only 2 PLC's that I cannot password protect due to this issue. thanks for your help. Edited by dunc

Sounds more like it's giving the wrong error message than you are out of memory.

Just to expand on this... There are two ways that program documentation can be saved in a processor. Device Comments can be downloaded separately, as you found. But Statements and Notes are marked as "imbedded" (i.e. downloaded with the program) individually, and take a fair amount of program memory. Make sure they're marked as "separate". That said, the keyword shouldn't take that much memory!

just double checked that. all statements (no notes are used in this program) are set to separate. it must be a memory issue somewhere along the line as it allows the keyword to go in when no program, or just part of the full program is present. whichever way you try and fit the information in, it will not allow you to squeeze anything more. what I cant understand is that it is using less than 1/4 of its maximum step capacity yet it still complains of not having enough room for a keyword?

Try deleting The NOP's in the program Put it in list mode and you will probably find hundreds of NOP's (NO Operation) I've used this in the past to free up memory - worth a try.

i tried that already. deleted about 30-40 steps and it made no difference. i could have been more ruthless and got rid of more, but i thought it would just be a waste of my time. there isnt even 7k steps used in the program and it should take up to 28k so i cant see why it doesnt like it!!!?

You might try to download the default parameter with the existing program. If it is able to set the keyword, that means you might need to double check on your parameter setting.

Hi, thanks for your reply. could you explain in a bit more detail what you mean please? which parameter setting needs checking? thanks

Just try to set all parameter to factor default and test. If it can work, probably you need to post your parameter here for checking.

please see attached pics of PLC parameters. can anyone see anything that could be causing my issue?