Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Div_by_zero

Getting freelance PLC programming work

9 posts in this topic

I'm getting to the point where I think I could take on some freelance PLC programming work. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to go about getting it. How do you guys/girls get hooked-up with work? Thanks for any guidance!

Mostly networking with local people. Or talk to SALES GUYS who go into all the businesses, they hear about rumors of places looking for some help.

Most of mine come from references by my regular customers, a few from some local distributors I have helped out in the past.

When you're just starting out, your gigs are going to come from people who already know you. You didn't say what your current job is, but if you're too low on the food chain at your current employer to be making decisions about hiring a person like yourself, you'll have to make contact with someone with a little more authority at your potential clients. If those people are outside of your circle of acquaintances, you'll have to get the people you do know to refer you the people who can make the decision to throw some work your way. Take advantage of anything obscure in your skill set. If you are the only person at your current employer who dares touch a certain 25 year old PLC, try to find if there is anyone else in your area using the same model. Maybe they're ready to convert it something more modern.

Get insurance!!!! One small problem and it could cost you a lot.

Freelance website go to the lowest bidder. Rarely ever because you have better skillz than the guy bidding the lowest dollar amount, as well ever does a job work out that it's something you can drive too.

Yea, I saw guys on there whoring themselves out for $15/hour. I've personally done PLC programming for $25/hour and THAT feels low. I feel like $35/hour should be the rock-bottom rate.

Back in 2002 the place I worked charged $75 an hour for on site programming work, $50 an hour for on-site work on panels we built, and $35 for in-house programming hours. And that was 12 years ago. I would think those are low by today's standards.