Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_SKR

Kinetix 300 with Micrologix 1400

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone used ML1400 and Kinetix300 to run a servo Motor. I got a motion control project and until now all I could do is to establishing communication(green light on Kinetix300 E-comm activity ) between ML1400 and Kinetix300. I don't know any procedure to run the motor from here. How can I enable the drive? Is it possible to find a sample program anywhere, references, guidelines to the procedure. Any kind of help would be deeply appreciated.

It's easier to find than you think ! When you Google "MicroLogix 1400 Kinetix 300 sample application", the first result is a sample connectivity and function application note from Rockwell Automation: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/cc-qs018_-en-p.pdf Some people make the mistake of thinking that the MicroLogix and Kinetix 300 are going to integrate together like the CompactLogix and the Kinetix 350 do; it's not the same. Kinetix 300 is most often used as a standalone indexing drive, and the MicroLogix 1400 has the ability to send it configuration commands. I have a machine design that uses them together, and all the MicroLogix does is send commands to select one of three Indexes, and can also modify the speed and acceleration of one of those Indexes. The actual 'start moving' command is hardwired from a MicroLogix 1400 output terminal. Enabling a motion controller is virtually always done with a hardwired circuit. What sort of motion functions does your control system need to perform ?

Thank You for immediate reply. "Enabling a motion controller is virtually always done with a hardwired circuit." Do you mean to say we need an I/O terminal block? If so how to enable drive using that? Motion functions to be performed are for a bender machine which has 3 motors & should run forward and backward direction with specified time and speed. Now I've downloaded a sample project from Rockwell and connected the ML1400 with Kinetix300. I don't know how to proceed further, I'll go through the PDF link you sent. Regards, SKR

The first thee discrete inputs on the Kinetix 300 are dedicated to positive overtravel, negative overtravel, and Enable functions. These are described in the User Manual, 2097-UM001. Input IN_A3 is always the Enable input. You must provide +24V DC to that input before the drive will perform any positioning functions.

I've a 2097-TB1 Kinetix terminal block for I/O and using that I've supplied +24V DC(IN_A3) to pin 29 and Common to Pin 26(IN_A3_COM), Yet the drive doesn't enable. Is there something I'm missing. Thanks, SKR

As of now I can run the program and the motor runs fine. How can we control the motor using this program.? Like increasing and decreasing velocity, number of rotations etc., I tried changing the data file values, but it doesn't change. Is the speed controlled using motion view software which is available within the drive? Regards, _skr.

Search for K300/ML1400 Indexing Program Example in the Sample Code section of AB site.