Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teal854t

How to find CompactLogix 1769-L18ER-BB1B IP address?

10 posts in this topic

How to find CompactLogix 1769-L18ER-BB1B IP address? We have a machine with it and don't know what the ip address is. What is that USB port for? It doesn't have serial port either. But has two ethernet port. Thanks

The most common thing to do is connect your PC to the CompactLogix via the USB port, and "drill down" using RSLinx Classic software to the Ethernet daughtercard. When you right-click on the Ethernet port, you can select Module Configuration and you'll see the IP address of the controller. Modern revisions of RSLinx Classic (2.58 and later, I think) will automatically create the USB driver when you plug into the controller.

my laptop is windows 7 and rslinx classic 3.51. When i connect usb cable to the laptop it shows usb device not recognized. Do it start rslinx first before i plug in the usb? What is Ethernet daughtercard? Thanks

Finally i got the usb driver working. I had to plug in and out several times. It shows 0.0.0.0, 1769-L18ER-BB1B. Does it mean the ip address is zero or no ip address? Thanks

Zero is an invalid IP address, so if you see "0.0.0.0" it means the controller has not IP address set. A-B Ethernet devices always come out of the box with BOOTP / DHCP protocol enabled. You may be able to set the IP address using the Rockwell BOOTP/DHCP utility, or you can just use RSLinx Classic since you are already connected. Remember that you need to disable the BOOTP/DHCP feature if you don't want it to reset the IP address on the next power cycle.

In ControlLogix controllers, the Ethernet modules are separate from the controller. In the older CompactLogix controllers, the Ethernet modules are physically built into the controller, but are logically a "daughtercard" module and they appear in RSLinx as a separate module on a virtual backplane. In the new CompactLogix 5370 series, the Ethernet module is built into the CPU both physically and logically. You will not see a separate Ethernet module in your RSWho browse, just the CompactLogix controller. Thank you for asking and for pointing out.

Thanks! One more question. Do I need crossover cable to hook up from laptop to plc for BootP? Thanks

Virtually all modern laptops will perform "Auto-MDX" and you can use an ordinary patch cord instead of a crossover Ethernet cable or adapter. If the link lights come on, you've got a good link. If they don't, you need an adapter or crossover Ethernet cable.

If you able to see PLC icon in RSlinx,you can directly change any IP and remove Bootp/DHCP if option if required. Simply right click Controller image,click last option"Module Configuration"...Select Port Configuration" and change required fields.....

connect to network use wireshark software to identify connected IPs in network