Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TL7791

CompactLogix L35E BootP

6 posts in this topic

HELP Please!!! I have set up many IP controllers without as much issue as this one. I have an L35E that no matter what I do will NOT allow me to disable BootP. It simply refuses the connection. I can set the IP address to whatever I want. I can ping it at whatever address I set it to... But I cannot Disable BootP. I also cannot see it when I search in RSLinx... It simply appears as an Unrecognized Device with a big fat red X. Losing my mind. I know that it isn't this difficult. Screenshot attached... Top Left - command prompt with successful ping Bottom Left - BootP utility with successful IP assignment Right - big fat red X on 192.168.0.21 BTW... Yes I have rebooted all devices multiple times.

I've run into that before when my laptop IP/Subnet Mask/Router didn't match the BootP setup. Check that under Tools--> Network Settings.

you can download the program with the matching IP address and go online with the processor and config to disable the BootP in the program .

Boot P can be disabled with the Boot P Utility.... and... RSLinx.. have you tried both? As previously stated, do all of your devices have the same IP configs e.g. network, mask etc.? Try connecting with a Serial Cable, then after all is good with disabling Boot P with serial connection, connect laptop on same Ethernet network as PLC and open the internal web page for the PLC by typing the IP address in internet explorer which will prove RSLinx can communicate. All should be good at that point.. FYI I have never had a CompactLogix or ControlLogix PLC die unless the power supply fried from an assumed poor ground and assumed welding nearby, the serial port is your friend...

I was getting ready to say those aren't CompactLogix, but RA must have started in on a new block of MAC addresses. Can you see the embedded web pages in a browser ? The BOOTP utility's "Network Settings" that set the subnet mask are my principal suspects. Any CompactLogix will also have a serial or USB port you could use to browse to the IP configuration in RSLInx Classic to investigate what settings it got from the BOOTP utility. I agree this shouldn't be so hard, but it's likely something simple.

haha... Ken I think I sparked an old post. sorry for that man..