Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mitch_b91

5000 modification UNK instruction

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I work at a UK motor manufacture plant and we have recently had some new equipment. They have 5000 in them but most of the maintenance here are used to 5/500. They are all comfortable doing modifications, importing comments and testing edits in 5/500 but none are familiar with 5000. A selected group have been sent on a shortened basic training course on 5000 but this is hardly substantial. I won't bore you much more and get down to the problem; someone has modified the program today and when I have come in to get online, I have loaded from our storage device and gone online through the setup path but all lines commented on are full of unknown instructions. The function block is called UNK, inside the block is unknown instruction and the type of function it should be e.g OTE, XIO. Where should I go next? Thanks a lot in advanced Mitch

click on label "UNK" in the instruction and change it to "OTE" etc. this happens for example when one is trying to paste code from text editor (if doing so make sure to set correct input mode, things are not clean cut as in RSL500)

Yea it seems 5000 is a step backwards in the user interface for me. The equipment is running at the moment so will renaming the be an offline change or a quick change while running. Also it seems the tags for those instructions are not shown. Will they be lost or re-appear when changed. Thanks for the reply. Mitch

Is it possible to find out who has made the modification and what they were trying to do, then revert back to a previous version of the code? Just out of curiosity, which car manufacturer do you work for? Steve

I think I've said that about every new PLC programming interface I've ever used. Eventually I came to the conclusion that none are necessarily bad, just different. If given a choice between writing a program for a SLC or CLX, and cost is not a factor (is that even possible?) I will take the CLX hands down. If I were a wealthy man I would PAY the customer to change their mind if they wanted to use a SLC. But, I'm not wealthy so in my integrator days the customer paid me to slog through writing the program for a SLC. These days I can choose what I want and I'll occasionally use a Micrologix just to keep my hand in the SLC game. If you want to see a step backwards check out the Micro line. I kind of like them though. It's better software than the SCADAPack boys offer.

I don't mind Micro apart from its offline modifications. Like I said the car company I work for is running 70% of the day so we struggle to get offline mods in. I will see the mber tonight who did the modification and ask exactly what he did but I suspect he loaded the program from storage, edited the program, tested the edits and didn't save the program. Therefore when we have loaded the program from storage, it does not match what is in the processor. Hopefully. Also I cannot directly say what company I work for due to high privacy policy and data protection. But I live in the midlands. Edited by Mitch_b91

Is the code written in function block or ladder? I had a similar situation recently with a routine showing UNK. Solution was to delete the UNK routine as it was doing nothing. Is this issue evident when online or just in the offline project? When you go online does the project upload from the controller? Incidentally, i worked at a midlands based motor manufacturer near Derby for 13 years!! Steve

Aha probably the same place then Steve. The program was written in ladder. My assumption was correct in the sense that the guy had done a mod and not saved it to the storage device. I have loaded the program and gone online from the old program and got UNK. The solution was to go who active, select the processor path and select the program from my storage device to merge the two.