Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brooksy

Data Exchange between FX3GE PLC's with Ethernet

16 posts in this topic

Hi, Have 3 FX3GE PLC's on a packaging line & was wanting to exchange some small blocks of word & bool data between them using the on-board Ethernet ports. Can't seem to find any documentation on how this is done. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Cheers.

Prog software and language used?

what is your version of the software

1.449V Will this be possible with the hardware I have or will I need additional?

update software to the last version

I am not sure why everyone is focusing on the software? Lets say I have the very latest of everything. How do I do it??

The reason I asked about software is that the data exchange solution is partly dependent on which software you are using. Different software have different functions, and in GW2 you have different languages with different functions. E.g. if you were using Structured Ladder there are several pre-built function blocks ready to use. Since you are using Simple Ladder you should really take a look at the User's Manual for the FX3U-ENET module, specific chapter is "Fixed Buffer Communication With NoProtocol/NoProcedure Method". I think this explains well why I asked about which software and language you were using: 1. If using structured ladder in GW2: You could implement a "ready-to-use" function block - just set up input parameters and press start 2. If using simple ladder in GW2: You just need to set up the modules and do a little programming and you're good to go You should use two ports for each connection (a total of four ports to get simultanous connections between them). That way, module 1 will send data to module 2, and at the same time module 2 will send data to module 1. That is the easiest to do, no "protocol" needed and TCP/IP handles error checking excellent so don't worry about checking received data for errors, or state data for that matter. Further on, you need to use TO/FROM instructions on both sides. TO instructions for writing data for module 1 -> 2 and TO instrcutions for module 2 -> 1. On the receiving end you need to use FROM instructions to read data for each module. This is well explained in the manual and not as hard as it may sound. Simple Ladder examples are available in the manual. Data Exchange between FX PLC's are used a lot, probably of the same reason you need it, so just go on! Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck.

you need version 1.492 or higher

kaare_t especially for you

My fault! I didn't notice he was using FX3GE PLC's, I thought he was using FX3G with FX3U-ENET... Sorry for that, and thanks Kazah for correcting! To the TS: I'm not sure if it's possible with the onboard Eth ports of the FX3GE PLC's, but I'll check it out for sure... However, like Kazah points out, how did you program those PLC's in the first place with the software version you have??

Everything seems to work fine with 1.449V. Was even using 1.87R since the FX3GE first came out for several months till the latest upgrade & this version seemed ok too. Asked Mitsubishi here in Sydney & they said 1.449V is the latest version they have been given to distribute to date. I have managed to fine a work around using the GT-1450 HMI "Device Data Transfer" function. I would prefer to have this performed by the PLC's but it is very simple to set up & works, so till I can find a PLC solution this will have to do. Appreciate all the input.

Do you mean 1.499?

The FX3GE in-built Ethernet will work as FX3U-ENET-ADP. provided you have the GT14 to link with the 2 FX3GE PLC then you can simply use the HMI "Device Data transfer" function. Otherwise you need to write the program by using the MC protocol.