Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ilsk8

Communication trouble

15 posts in this topic

Communications between CPM1A and NS5 I asked on an earlier post which cable was used to communicate between the above items, and got the answer. However, after reading the PLC and NS manuals and going through the NS5 tutorial that came with NS-Designer, I still cannot get any communications between the two of them. I am using Syswin 3.4 and the only settings available for the peripheral port are in the PLC set up menu, witch only gives me the option of 1. Host link 2. 1 to 1 slave 3. 1 to 1 master 4. NT link (1:1) So I set the port to option 4 (NT link (1:1)) Write a simple line of code LD 000.12 OUT 010.00 And down load this into the PLC. I then switch the C1F01 RS232 adapter over from Host to NT ready to be connected to the NS5. Using NS-Designer I have drawn one pushbutton on a screen and labelled it SERIALA 00000.12(W) Here is the question. In the System settings/initial/system memory/ $SB and $SW, do these settings have to be the PLC memory area (DM 00000 to 01023 for the CPM1A), and how do I establish com’s between the to devices? Thanks in advance P.S. first usefull reply gets a G-mail invite Edited by ilsk8

Did you cycle the power on the CPM1 ?

sorry dont know what you mean by cycle the power are you refering to the to potentiometers above the peripheral port? Edited by ilsk8

Have you set your NS project for 1:1 NT Link or 1:N NT link? CPM1A does not support 1:N NT link.

I have set the peripheral port to the 1:1 NT link via syswin on the PLC, so I guest the NS setting should be the same. still no joy when the NS is reset and poweres back up the comms led on the PLC flickers verry lightly, 5 times, then nothing. the only thing on the NS is 'connecting' at the bottom right of the screen. I have also looked at all the cables available from the downloads page for the hand shake between the devices, there is one cable i havent tryed yet, but I'm in the middle of making it, pic attached. Edited by ilsk8

Please confirm that you have set the NS5 to 1:1 NT Link on SerialA. I have a roomful of app engineers scratching their heads over this one.

Please confirm which cable in the pic that you are building.

Yup, me to , the top one (sorry) tried it on Serial A, then on Serial B just to make shure. I also double check that the settings have been uploaded to the NS5 through the menu, and it has. when the communication between the CPM1A and the NS5 takes place, the two are meant to check that the memory are is set correctly? if this is not correct does the communication fail, and nothing happens? if so, form the setting sheet which DM and bit area are set in the NS5 system set-up? Edited by ilsk8

Under Settings|System Settings $SB and $SW are set by you to a known word in the PLC. But this is not your problem. I suspect that the PLC is still not set for 1:1 NT Link.

will have to get back to you on this, as its 5AM here and way past my bed time. thanks for the help sk8

Good luck, tomorrow morning!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COMM’S, HAND SHAKE, THINGS TALKING TO ONE ANOTHER. Ok, the first thing to say is this, A man who has never made a mistake has never made F**K ALL!!!!! And always follow the rule of KISS (not the rock band). KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!!!!! Using the cable C200H-CN320-EU witch is the same as WX2Z-200T (2m) apart from one difference cable number 1 dose not get connected to the hood/screen at the RS232 adapter side. In the old CPM1A manual and the serial cable downloads pin 1 is connected to the screen, however, in the new manual pin 1 is not connected. I presume that pin 1 (FG) is a ground and may or may not have any thing to do with my original problem. :-8 Anyhow, I should have paid more attention to what I was observing with the com’s light on the PLC. I said it flashed 5 times, well it was meant to, as the retry count was set to 5 in NS-designer, this meant the plc was not sending any info back to the screen. So, halve asleep and trying to program at 4:30 in the morning while chasing rubbish bins and patio furniture around the garden in high winds is not a good recipe for success, you tend to miss the little HOST/NT switch on the C1F01 is not set to NT (is that the sound of laughter I detect). Also, setting the memory address to PT internal memory/$SB1600 and PT internal memory $SW1600 allowed the NS to talk with the PLC, thus displaying my screens. Once again thanks for the help, I am now going off to die of shame and lack of sleep. P.S. Oh yes, as youve tried to help this muppet (ME) with his problem the Gmail invite go's to Jay, if you whant it PM me the address. Edited by ilsk8

ilsk8: You have the makings of a good troubleshooter. Good work!

Just for future clarification, cycle the power means to turn off the power to the PLC wait say 5 sec and then turn it back on again. The reason being that in order for some PLC setup settings to take effect you need to do this..... In regards to going off to die in shame we have all being there...its part of the learning process....The difference is those who perservere and those who just give up...Well done.......Now get some sleep.....

Thanks for the replies. Had sleep and plenty of it.