Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sanchit Sahay

PLC Cooling Fan

3 posts in this topic

Hi Does any manufacturer PLCs have cooling fan inside them? Like the way its in a computers. There are separate CPU, GPU, hard-disk cooling systems, and additionally there may (or may not) be cabinet cooling fans I've seen a few AB, and automation direct PLC, and I couldn't see one. Any ideas about other manufacturer? Just wondering!!

Are you trying identify something you saw? Did it have a logo or brand name on it? Even industrial PCs should have a logo. Even non-industrial ones do unless they were home-built. Or are you trying to find something with a fan? If so why? That seems like an odd thing to specify.

I have never seen a conventional "PLC" controller that relied on a cooling fan. If a system can't run without the cooling fan, then it becomes as reliable as the cooling fan. This is unacceptable for most industrial applications, which is why PLCs are generally use less powerful chips and rely on convection for cooling. I have certainly seen PC-based controllers that use cooling fans, and they usually get better treatment (a larger enclosure, filtered air, and periodic maintenance) than a conventional PLC.