Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ASForrest

Uploading without an offline file

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was at a site today where someone wanted me to tell me what the gateway setting of their compact logix PLC was. Ordinarily, I won't even look at a PLC before I have the program file, because otherwise you'll find that you have no comments and the tags are in German. In this case, though, I figured there was no issue, because all I need is that one setting. The IP address was on the drawings, so I connected to the PLC fine, and then figured I could just upload to a new file. However, it seems that you can't do that. Is there any way of dragging the code out of a PLC if you don't have any offline file at all to base it off? Logix 5000 is obviously the target here, but I'd be interested to learn how the process would differ to Logix 500. Thanks!

You definitely can upload from a ControlLogix or CompactLogix if you don't have the offline file. RSLogix 5000 will prompt you to create a new file and upload. I've done this thousands of times. I don't think even controller security prevents the program from being uploaded. It might not be able to be viewed or opened but it can definitely be uploaded. To address the original issue; you don't need RSLogix 5000 to read the IP address of a CompactLogix or ControlLogix Ethernet module. If you can connect to the serial port (or USB, or another network) you can use RSLinx Classic (even Lite) to navigate to the Ethernet module and view its properties, including the IP configuration.

The first time I tried to upload from a ControlLogix without the project file, I was stymied by this as well. The option is definitely there, but it isn't obvious, and there's no specific prompt. I'm going from memory here, as I don't have a CLX to practice on, so bear with me. When you open the system comms and select upload, you'll be presented with a window that asks you to select a file, with the only visible option being "Open". Don't select a file, but go ahead and click open. Then type in a file name and click "Save". The file will be created and you'll be able to upload. You could alternatively create the file first, then upload into it, but then you need to know the firmware revision.

For the Logic 500 the process is even simpler. You simply open the communications ( Comms > System Comms ) , select the address for the device from the listing, and Upload. You will be prompted for a File name and location to store the program. I have had situations were I need the program from a unit at a field site were the maintenance technician did not have the current program on file but did have a computer to access the processor. He used the steps I described to get the program and email it to me. With a few addition steps I was able to combine the program with the tag name and comment files. Here is how that works in the Logix 500. (specifically the MicroLogix 1200, 1400, 1500) Export tags names and comments 1. Open a version of the program with tag names and comments. Goto the Documentation Database Export ( Tools > Database > ASC11 Export) 2. Select the RSLOGX 500 tab. 3. Check the boxes for Addr/ Symbol Desc and Instruction Comments. 4. Click OK , You will be prompted for an location to store the files. I recommend planning ahead and creating a directory for these files. To combine the tag names and comments with a program 1. Open a version of the program the does not have tag names and comments. 2. Goto the ASC11 Import ( Tools > Database > ASC11 Import) 3. Select RS500, check Addr/Symbol Desc, and Instruction Comments 4. in the On Collisions section select "Overwrite existing records with imported ASCII records". This is safe to do because the program does not have tag names or comments. 5. Click ok. You will be prompted for the location of the Address/Symbol folder (.EAS). Browsed to the folder were you exported the file and select it. You will then be prompted for the location of the location of the location of the Instruction Comment ASCII Source File ( .EIC ) . It will be stored at the same location as the Address/Symbol folder. 6. Once this file is selected the program will combine the files with the program and displace a results message. You'll now see tag names and comments in your program.