Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

1762-IF4

10 posts in this topic

Using a Micrologix 1400. Connected to the input is a Raytek IR sensor. It puts out a 4-20ma signal representing 32F to 1032F temperature. The module allows me to set it to 4-20ma but only two choices for data, that is Raw or PID. I have it set to RAW. I read a number 1500 in RSLogix 500 software. The display on the raytek is showing 94F degrees. The number on the module does not match the reading on the Raytek display. The software for that module does not allow Engineering units. The 1762-IF4 is 15 bits. I tried using SCP but I must be using wrong numbers or wrong box. How do I get the number I see the module is seeing to match the temperature being displayed on the Raytek display? I am trying to access AB website to get info.

SCP parameters should be: 6240 31200 32 1032

I generally use PID for the ML In that case SCP parameters should be: 0 16383 32 1o32

And so you know where the posted Raw data values come from see PDF below... 1762IF4DataFormat.pdf

Also the IF4 defaults to voltage. In addition to changing it in your channel configuration you need to change the DIP switches, see page 12 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1762-in012_-en-p.pdf

Mickey corrected me, the IF4 already defaults to current.

twcontrols, how in the world did you come up with those numbers? They work. I tried the 0 and 16383, which seemed to make sense but they did not work. You guys are awesome. Oh I looked at the PID, which I thought would be perfect for temperature, but that gave me a headache as well. That is something I will look at later. The examples and help files are so generic they are almost useless.

The input has a raw range of 0-32767 BUT that is from 0-21mA. So when you plot that out it equates to 6241 for 4mA and 31206 for 20mA. Throw a little laziness in there and I use 6240 and 31200 because they are easier to remember.

Hi, Another great way to check your system is by using a current loop calibrator, something like the Fluke 773 Milliamp Process Clamp Meter, though you can get other cheaper ones as well. This way you can "inject" a 4 - 20 mA signal into your system, and you will then be able to see the full range of your AI. It is probably one of the first checks that I would do when we are troubleshooting problem with Instruments as well. Conor

Disclaimer: This is a product I sell. If you don't have a $1,200 Fluke 773 laying around then you may try one of our analog simulators such as our SIM-ALP for $99.95. It can simulate a 0-10VDC, a 4-20mA current source, or a 4-20 mA current loop. It has internal batteries to simulate the 0-10VDC and 4 to 20 mA source so you don't even need a power supply for these. Every control panel we ship out of here with analog I/O gets tested with one of these. http://www.theautomationstore.com/analog-current-loop-simulator-generator-and-tester-4-20ma-and-0-10vdc/