Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtpetty

1305 to Powerflex40 Migratiom

3 posts in this topic

We are getting ready to begin replacing AB 1305's with Powerflex 40's. Using AB's literature on 1305 to Powerflex replacement we wired it up but cannot get the motor to run either from the keypad or through the PLS. A very basic question first: Will the Powerflex even accept the 120 VAC inputs that the 1305 is using? All of the docs only talk about 24 VDC. Edited by dtpetty

You might get more traction on this over in the Allen-Bradley PLC section, even though it's an AC drives question. The PowerFlex 40 and the 1305 both used dry contacts for discrete inputs; you provided selector switch or pushbutton or relay contacts. The PowerFlex 40 has an option for sinking or sourcing, while the 1305 was always sinking inputs (to my recollection). Where is the 120V AC wiring coming from ? I remember using DC or AC input option boards on the 1336 Plus, but the 1305 didn't have those. There was a third party module that allowed you to use 120V AC on the 1305, from Leaf Technologies: http://leaftech.com/ab1305.htm The PowerFlex 40 also has an Enable jumper. Take a look at the big wiring diagram on page 1-16 of the PowerFlex 40 User Manual (22B-UM001) and compare it to your wiring.

Correct - Dry contacts are used for control. User manual says 5 VDC internal P.S. for control. "Do not apply external voltage" So that would be sinking. The external 120 VAC we use through the "programmable output" terminals to energize a relay to drop the preset with a fault. They call them "relay" on the PowerFlex 40. The 1305 rates them @ 115VAC or 30 VDC. Can't find a rating in the manual yet for the PowerFlex. Wiring diagram shows a coil and 2 contacts but I suspect it's solid state. Drive energizes said relay shortly after power up with no fault. Work around will be to replace our fault relay with a 24V one. What I'm trying to find now is the rating of the internal power supply to see if enough current for the relay. Else I'll have to put in an external 24VDC P.S. in each cabinet. We're running now with no fault notification just to get us through Christmas. (I'm with USPS, and this is crunch time. Not a good time to be having drives blow up :). The initial problem was that I followed AB's "1305 to PowerFlex 40 Conversion" pub. It had a handy table with terminal equivalents. Turned out ever one was wrong! Start and stop reversed - reverse where enable belonged etc. Thanks for your prompt reply. Edited by dtpetty