Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitsibushiman

Rate of rise/Temperature Control

4 posts in this topic

At one of the plants where i work on a regular basis, there has just been a large electrical fire. (the fire appears to have been caused by a faulty 240VAC to 24VDC psu that has overheated severly) that has almost completely destroyed a large control panel!! . Althougth the plant is running (after some serious patch up work), the plant manger approached me and asked me about my opinion on fitting temperature sensors at strategic locations inside the other control panels to monitor the temperature and in the event of a sudden increase in temperature over a short period of time activate some kind of warning. Then if the rise continues shut off that part of the plant. I have never come accross or even heard of this kind of set up before, has anyone here??, What kind of systems where they??. How did they work??, Where they dedicated controllers or PLC??, Where they effective??. Any thoughts or answers much appreciated!

I have used thermo couples in Autoclaves in order to detect rapid change in temp(fire) to shut down Oxygen feed and some other stuff. I think that the smoke thing might be a safer bet because by the time you reg a temp spike ..... its normaly too late. where as the smoke detector would be faster and shut off sooner... you could also do both and set a high temp alarm that way if something is overheating in the box, say 40+ deg C then set off an audable and if there is smoke kill the pannel power.

Cheers for the replies!! If anyone else has anything to add feel free! Checked out the icam website, an they look like a definate possibility, unfortunately though i get a nasty feeling they may be rather expensive!, im gonnae give them a fone next week and see what they ve got to offer. I also agree about the temp thing, my gut feeling is that by the time you register a temp jump the damage is probably already done. So im still mulling options over, but again thanks for your suggestions, its always guid tae hear over peoples ideas! :-p Edited by mitsibushiman

Krk It is possible, this equipment distinguish smoke of chips burned??? It would be, more a sensor of I smell. An alternative, however less efficient. Read temperature from VFD's, get network or if possible, set parameter output associate temperature.