Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinemaker

upgeade

4 posts in this topic

Another Allen Bradley money pit. I just got a notice saying I need to upgrade to RSNetWorx V21 cause any new software installs will have problems with versions 11 and below. Gives a link with instructions when going there there are no instruction just a top link to upgrades but I need a contract to use it. How is this company surviving? Lots of die-hards i quess.

Do you have a question, or just a complaint ? It's OK to just complain. V21 of RSLogix 5000 is a major step in the underlying tools and subsystems of Rockwell Automation software. RSNetworx v21 uses those same tools and subsystems. So what RA is finding is a lot of folks who install Studio 5000 v21 and it messes up their older RSNetworx and other software. Installing the current and compatible RSNetworx v21 software makes them all work together properly. If you aren't going to install Studio 5000 v21, you don't need to upgrade anything else. I use virtual machines (VMWare) because of how unstable FactoryTalk is about compatibility and updates, and I've chose to build a new Windows 7 VM because v21 doesn't support Windows XP. I've installed four Win7 compatible versions of RSLogix 5000 (v18, 19, 20, 21), but only one version of RSLinx 3.6 and RSNetworx v21.

I've been able to avoid Studio 5000 v21 and Networks v21 as there just isn't a compelling reason to upgrade... at least imho. I also use VM's (at home and work.) When I'm in 'support mode' at work it's helpful to have the ability to run different versions of ViewStudio. And the VMWare snapshot feature is a must have - if an install of new software goes bad I'm only seconds away from being back up and running

Maybe it was to complain with a bit of bashing. hahaha. Just reading the replies is funny. Just look what you guys have to do to make AB software work, Seriously?!