Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cookie Monster

22-Comm-E

4 posts in this topic

I had one of my mechanics training on a system in house, he was changing the IP and subnet of the 22-Comm-E Module. When the power was cycled to the unit I was unable to connect with the 22-Comm-E. I can't see the device within RSLinx or its broadcast within the BootP/DHCP utility. I browsed the AB forums and the only thing that I saw recommend was to change my gateway and subnet and attempt to use the BootP-DHCP utility. I have tried to identify the IP so I can communicate by changing my local adapter settings on the PC to match, I still can't seem to find it anywhere. I have also used Wireshark to try and determine what if any IP has been established on the device. When I cycle the power to the device and watch my window within Wireshark I can see a broadcast from my Device, I can confirm that the MAC address matches the hardware, but I have a concern from the broadcast. I have attached the image to see if anyone else can help me out. Sorry about the poor quality, I didn't have time to take a screen shot and edit the image. My major concern is the FCS bad = true portion. I am about to contact RA support, I just wanted to know if anyone on the forums can assist with this issue before I take that step. Any advice would be welcome.

Modifying the IP Address of any device while "connected" to it via the very protocol which's settings you are editing is never a good idea. Forget BOOTP if the 22-COMM-E had a configured static IP Address; most likely it has been disabled at the time of the original configuration. What drive are we talking about? You will need to connect to the drive via different communications means (DriveExplorer/Executive or CCW via DF1 USB-to-DSI) and modify the comms module settings or, if there is an installed HIM module, use this peripheral device to enter the proper 22-COMM-E module settings. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/drives-um001_-en-p.pdf or Chapter 3 of http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22comm-um004_-en-p.pdf

The VFD is a Powerflex 40 and I don't have the HIM module that allows me to configure the comm module. I will investigate further when I get back on site.

Get yourself a 1203-USB ($380.00 List) USB-to-DPI/DSI/SCANport Converter; it comes with a cable kit and will allow you to connect to the PF40 DSI communications port. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/drives-um001_-en-p.pdf