Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wierbiter

Need Some Assistance On MSG

5 posts in this topic

Hello All, and thank you for reading. I work in an industrial setting and I am trying to work on setting up a machine alarm system. In order to do this, I need to get information from a PLC 5000. MSG as I did when trying to get info from another PLC 5 doesn't work. I also tried multihoping but to no avail. I might not be doing that correctly though. When using the MSG without Multihop, I get an error 18 i believe (loss of connection). With multihoping enabled, I get the general error 1b. How does one MSG to a 5000 correctly? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you

What type of processor are you reading the "alarrm" data to? Would it be worthwhile to do a PLC 5 Write and utilize a watchdog timer on the target device? What is the exact path you are using for the Multihop? Can you post some additional information so we can all view the configuration, path ect..

Hello I may be wrong in saying this, and I'm sure i will be corrected if I am, but I seem to recall that to MSG between a ControLogix and a PLC-5 the MSG instruction needs to be in the CLGX controller and set to either PLC-5 read or write (whichever operation you wish to perform) and the destination device set to your PLC-5. Hope this helps Steve

The PLC-5 doesn't understand ControlLogix tag names, even if they are similar (like "N7[x]") to PLC-5 data table addresses. If the MSG is in the PLC-5, you need to configure the ControlLogix to do "PLC/SLC Data Table Mapping" so that it emulates PLC-5 data tables. There are many examples in the user manuals.

Just wanted to say thanks to you all for all you quickresponses. After doing a bit more research, and a bit of trial and error, I found that it was much easier just to write the information from the CLX processor to the PLC 5 using the MSG.WRITE Command. Luckily I found a similar situation in another program that I could use as a reference. Again thank you for all you quick replies. Seems I have much much more to learn, but it is definately challenging and fun.