Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzzmethru

NTST communication problems

13 posts in this topic

Hi thanks for the previous help. I really appreciated it, cables now made up. However I now have a new problem, I wonder if anyone could help. Trying to reinstate a NT620s which has been on the shelf a long time. I am using NT Support Tool v4.7. i.I have used NT System Installer and loaded up the system (although I could not start the Download from NT Series support Tool. Always a time out, the only way I could achieve the transfer was to push Start on the PT screen and Go on the Support Tool). Got a Completed flag from both Software and NT620s after around 3 mins ii. After a reset on the NT620s the following message is displayed ... NO DIRECT INFO IS SET!! Please use the support tool to set the PT Control & the PT Notify Area. No matter what address I try as soon as I try to Download from Support Tool software i either get an error message saying incorrect address on Control & Notify area - once I change the address's I then get a timeout after a few seconds wait. I have just entered the second week of trying to find a solution. What am I doing wrong? Is there any tutorials available for this setup? Am I correct in assuming that the RS232 cable is ok due to the sytem download.? Any help, correct address's, workarounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Db ps I have both the manuals for the software and the touch screen.

What address are you changing? Is it the address for the PT Control and Notify Areas? This doesn't make sense. Tell us step by step what you are doing and what the error messages are.

Hi again thanks for the reply ... here is the sequence of events ... i. Erase SYSTEM PROGRAM on touchscreen. ii.Download SYSTEM PROGRAM to touchscreen using NT Series SYSTEM INSTALLER v1.33. iii.Recieve confirmation of transfer from both touchscreen and System Installer SOFTWARE. Along with this message on the touchscreen is the text to tell me to push QUIT and Initialise MEMORY in MAINTENANCE MODE. iv.I cannot access MAINTENANCE MODE because I cannot access SYSTEM MODE on the touchscreen. I have ensured that DIP SW2-3 is OFF to allow the proceedure for accessing the SYSTEM MENU to be carried out. (access by any two 'touchswitch' in either of the four corners of screen is the only method I am aware of) v. I can INITIALISE SCREEN MEMORY only using DIP SW2-1. vi. After the touchscreen has completed the INITIALISE SCREEN MEMORY routine & has been RESET the display will always show this ... "NO DIRECT INFORMATION IS SET!! Please use the Support Tool to set the PT Control Area and the PT Notify Area." vii. Using NTST4.7E I select NEW and SELECT NT620s as the touchscreen then I set the PT Control Area to DM0000 and the PT Notify Area to DM0010. These settings aways append themselves to D00000 and D00010 (is this Ok as I can't seem to find why this happens or how to stop it). viii. Using NTST4.7E I create a screen with nothing but TEXT on it ... select DOWNLOAD and the ERROR box on NTST appears, empty, after about 30sec. the time out dialog box appears offering a retry. The ERROR box remains empty but turns white with no text inside to log any error. As I said I have been at this on and off for well over a week now each time getting to the same screen (see vi above). I don't think the RESUME FUNCTION is a problem because I have the battery disconnected for well over 5min. Since doing this the RUN led is now illuminated when in state as per 'vi' above. I think that the Serial Comms are ok due to Sytem Transfer. Please can you offer some more of your assistance? Thanks Db

How are you trying to access the system menu? It is accomplished by touching 2 opposite corners of the screen.

Have you ever successfully communicated with this laptop to this touchscreen before? There is an issue with laptops that use 3.3V technology on the serial port or who use the Intel Speed Step technology which throttles the voltage on the serial port to 3.3V. If so, we need to know about it, there is a workaround. The symptoms that you are describing sounds like it.

Hi thanks for the response... I am trying to access the SYSTEM MENU by this method. Thanks again... Db

From Omron tech note: There is a known problem with computers that use Intel Speed Step technology. The technology throttles back the voltage on the RS and CS lines until communication is actually needed to conserve power. Our touchscreens monitor these lines and declare a SCI framing error when this happens. If you can disable Speed Step, do so. If you cannot, then the following will work. 1. Do not immediately hook up the cable to the touchscreen. 2. Change to the Transmit Mode on the Touchscreen. 3. Download the screen files. 4. Wait for timeout. 5. Connect the cable to the touchscreen. 6. Retry the transmission. What this does is to force the computer to raise the voltage on the RS/CS lines to the proper voltage.

If you can't get into the system menu, then the above error only indicates a timeout. Somehow you have got to get into the System menu to activate the transfer screen. What operating system files did you put in the NT620S? Please give the name of the file.

Be sure you are using the inner rectangle for targeting your two key presses. There is an outer rectangle which is not touch sensitive.

Hi, thanks for the advice so far ... I have tried it again, several times. As before I have ensured that DIP SW2-3 is OFF to allow the proceedure for accessing the SYSTEM MENU to be carried out.(thumbs now have flats on them ) Thanks again Db

I suspect that the operating system you loaded is only halfway correct and is not allowing you to access the system menu. I agree the method you are using to make the System transfer is doubtful and iffy. Are you using a full-handshake cable to load the system? The latter is the system that you need to install. You can't do both.

Hi thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge and offer solutions with the issues involving the touchscreen. I have reloaded (lost count how many times) the SYSTEM FILES and can now access the SYSTEM MENU 1st time every time. The RS232 /Intel Speed Step Technology workaround was fantastic & worked 1st time. Was thinking I might need a hardware solution. Thanks again, till next time ...

HI I HAVE CAMERA OMRON F160-S2 CONNECTED TO PLC CJ1M VIA CONTROLLER F160 AND I DONT KHNOW HOW TO PROGRAMM THIS APPLICATION THANKS