Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Water Ratz

Controls Integrator Selection

4 posts in this topic

I would like to pose a question to all who are involved in these forums. My question is regarding the selection process for choosing a Controls Integrator fo ra medium sized project. I realize by asking this question I may be opening myself up to ribbing, ridicule and outright jabs. With that said, here goes..... When selecting a controls integration company, I would think most people would look at things like: - What types of jobs has this company done in the past? - How many engineers does this company employ? - Does this company have experience with our PLC brand and type? - How successful has this company been in the past? These seem to be necessary questions to get through in order to select the best integrator for the job. Now the shocking question: After passing all the above listed tests, would any sane person have to ask themeslves: - Does this company OWN a copy of the programming software in order to complete this job? I would appreciate any and all comments on this. Thank You

I would say asking is the only sane option. i was on the other side of the deal and to me it was always important to make sure if there is any preference for software version or any other standard. on occasion there was a project involving hardware we normally don't use and of course don't have software. in that case project is quoted accordingly to include needed software - it is just a tool. if you are repairing cars and need wrench or whatever to get the job done, you buy it and use it - the cost is part of doing business.

A significant portion of my job is writing RFQs and evaluating the quotations that come back. I don't much care whether or not they have the programming software, as long as they can get the programming done. The programming software is just the tool the programmer uses to build the solution. Any company that came to me and asked that I provide them with the software, or asked that I pay for the software for their use is going to wind up not working for me, in a big hurry. I don't feel it is necessary to ask, though.

Thanks for your input. I know my question may have seemed ridiculous at first read. Let me further explain my cunnundrum. The particular integrator in question is basically being forced upon me by the person I report to. I am working in a consulting capacity on a medium sized controls retro-fit project. After a year of working with this integrator, they came to the bargaining table asking to borrow programming software from the company I am working for. The requirement for the integrator to DO the actual programming is not new information. This has been part of the job requirement all along. I was absolutely incredulous at this request. Never in my career have I had such a ridiculous request presented me. My superiors apparently see nothing wrong with handing over a couple licenses for RSLogix5000 to this integrator. Thanks to all that responded.