Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mjrx

MicroLogix & PowerFlex Drives

10 posts in this topic

Can a ML1500 setup with a 1761-NET-ENI card talk to a PowerFlex4 (or 40, 70) drive that has a 22-COMM-E card installed in the drive? The examples I am finding on Rockwells site only talk about ControlLogix. Thanks

Yes, you could have a ML1500 connected to a 1761-NET-ENI module"talk" to a subnet "connected" 22-COMM-E module installed on a Component Class PowerFlex drive, however, only via Explicit type communications (MSG). The Logix Class CPU examples you are refering to probably are Implicit (I/O Class) type communications; unfortunately, MicroLogix processors cannot implicitly connect to any devices via established communications.

Understood. Would the issue be the same for trying to put a PanelView+ HMI on this same network with the 1761-NET-ENI, doesn't the PV+ HMI talk "implicit"?

Sort of...Implicit communications are scheduled(RPIed)...the data packet is requested at user defined intevals without the need of application programming code...Explicit communications require implemented application code containing MSG instructions... HMI applications are usually "broadcasted" (multi-cast) over a network, also without the need of user application programming, however, they cannot be scheduled like the I/O connections...the CPU's are usually processing HMI data when "not doing anything else" hence the data exchange rate is a lot slower than the implicit communications established one and even than the MSG type unscheduled communications...

I don't believe a Micrologix can formulate the proper msg to communicate with a Powerflex drive using a Comm-E......I've done implicit messaging from a ControlLogix and a CompactLogix but if memory serves me, there was another poster who inquired about this and the answer from an AB Guru indicated it can't be done properly........which is why there are no references to it. bob

I have just completed a project using a ML1400 controlling and reading from three PowerFlex 40 via explicit messaging. It is possible, but as most guru would suggest to hard wire your start, stop, and estop circuit.

Explicit Mesaging over EtherNet/IP between MicroLogix CPUs and 22-COMM-E PowerFlex Component Class VFDs is SOP where I am coming from, however, the unscheduled data transfer consists of information other than Status/Command and Feedback/Reference. Unless within a Logix platform, the VFDs Status/Command and Feedback/Reference are handled exclusively via Digital and Analog I/O since the completion timig of Explicit Messaging does not allow for a "tight" control envelope.

what message type did you use? I've done lots of explicit messaging between a CompactLogix and Powerflex drives using a CIP message type. The Micrologix and SLC families don't support this. bob

500CPU Read/Write Type Message. https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52205

thanks, an interesting read.....I do believe I did come across this at some point in time......age must be catching up to me..... bob