plcman

RSLogix 5000 Lost Search Results Window

4 posts in this topic

Hi I am using RSLogix 5000 and have been using the Search Results window without a problem. One time I undocked it and shifted it out of the way and now it has disapeared and I can't seem to get it back, has this happened to anyone else and does anybody know how to resolve this issue? Many Thanks

the "when all else fails" method for problems like this is to hold both the Control key and the Shift key while starting up the program (RSLogix5000 in this case) ... this usually resets all of the options and preferences back to their factory default settings – and lets you start over from scratch ... but ... since it resets all of your favorite options and settings, it usually takes quite awhile before you get everything dialed back in again for the way you want your system set up ... DISCLAIMER: this was written from memory and I don't have time to double-check the key combination ... I apologize in advance if I've gotten it wrong ...

To restore the Error/Search Results/Watch windows in Logix5000 as docked to the bottom of the main window run the Registry Editor and delete the values in the Layout key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\DockSystem

On 9/27/2013 at 5:23 AM, Guest said:

the "when all else fails" method for problems like this is to hold both the Control key and the Shift key while starting up the program (RSLogix5000 in this case) ... this usually resets all of the options and preferences back to their factory default settings – and lets you start over from scratch ... but ... since it resets all of your favorite options and settings, it usually takes quite awhile before you get everything dialed back in again for the way you want your system set up ... DISCLAIMER: this was written from memory and I don't have time to double-check the key combination ... I apologize in advance if I've gotten it wrong ...

I don't think that trick works from the desktop shortcut. You'll likely need to go here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Launcher

and double-click on the Launcher.exe icon.

I assume @plcman is using an older version of 5000, since you referenced it as "RSLogix 5000", not Studio 5000. I read somewhere in the release notes that they removed the ALT-Shift reset feature in either V28 or V30 and above.

This disappearing window problem can also happen when using dual monitors or an overhead projector. It's easy to close an undocked box that's open on the optional display and then later, when you open Studio on just your laptop, you'll find that the undocked window is gone because it's still on that optional display that isn't currently connected. If that's what happened and you don't want to lose all your preferences, just reconnect the additional monitor or projector, open the undocked window and re-dock it. But if you lost that window by undocking and dragging it too far off the laptop-only display, you're going to have to reset using ALT-Shift, or slowly move the mouse around the edges of your laptop's display until you find the missing window it, and drag it back.

The biggest takeaway from this should be, don't undock stuff. Or if you must, keep it on the laptop's display, away from the very edges of the display.