Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arbj

Testing EtherNet I/P network in lab

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I am keen on integrating some of my projects to an industrial EtherNet I/P network. The network uses an Allen Bradley PLC as a master and my product will be a slave on the network. My device uses ASCII based serial RS 232 communication. To integrate this I have decided to use the AnyBus Gateway device, Serial To EtherNet Gateway, see this link AnyBus Gateway The gateway will convert network packets from Allen Bradley PLC to serial format, this will be received by my device, the response from my device will be converted by the gateway to EtherNet I/P packet. The AnyBus gateway has a software for configuring their device to any proprietary serial RS 232 protocol. The problem is how can I test the above scheme in my lab, are there any master simulation devices that can simulate a EtherNet I/P master, or do I have to use an Allen Bradley PLC. Unfortunately my knowledge of PLC is limited. I have seen molex's site on EtherNet I/P products, they have some PCI cards and software that can be used to test EtherNet I/P networks, but I am not sure if this is useful for me. Molex Software Molex NIC cards Our device uses 8 bit micro-controllers, we are in the process of upgrading to linux based SBCs for our future releases. thanks a

There are different types of EtherNet/IP communications so saying 'master' does not fully specify what you are trying to do. For instance, there is explicit messaging (several different types) that uses TCP as the transport layer. This can be tested easily for free with Molex software. Most (all?) newer Rockwell PLCs support this through message type blocks. EtherNet/IP also has IO communications (Class 1 or sometimes called implicit) that uses UDP as the transport protocol. This is for high speed communications and IO control. Not all Rockwell controllers support this - mainly the RSLOgix5000 series programmed devices. A Rockwell expert would be able to better detail exactly which products do - my CompactLogix and ControlLogix devices all do. A possible answer to your specific question is Pyramid Solutions - they have a Windows-based EtherNet/IP Scanner stack and GUI that works for testing and can do both explicit and implicit messaging. I am not sure what it costs, but it's not free. There are other PLC vendors that support EtherNet/IP communications as well, depending on what you need. In my experience, there is nothing quite like testing with the real thing, so if you can get a Rockwell controller, I would, instead of using another test tool.

thanks for the reply. The gateway I intend to use (AnyBus Communicator) comes with the EDS files for setting up on the PLC. Is anything else necessary to get the communicator identified and working on the EtherNet I/P network ?? Sorry for the stupid question, I am new to the field of PLC programming. Though I have developed PC based RS 232 communications and developed products for industries, I am quite new to PLC programming, as our product uses standalone controllers, and interaction with PLC is through logic signals, before suggesting options to my customers I would like to gather more information on EtherNet I/P networks. thanks a