Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

Measure tank level: Application has a lot of Steam

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have a tank that had an Ultrasonic on it reading the level. There are two pumps in the tank, which are controlled by the level. The tank fills up with a lot of Steam, making the Ultrasonic very erratic. There is also a lot of turbulance in the tank. I have thought of using a differential pressure sensor, but the turbulance put me off this. The tank is filled with water and "watery" sludge. I don't really want to use a stick type probe, as i am afraid of it getting ragged up. Any suggestions would be great, Thanks, Conor

If a differential pressure sensor will not work, I really don't know what else would. I've dealt with similar applications and I found that this type, if properly "monitored" within the control application will return the most accurate and consistent results. ifm Effector PS series would be my personal choice: http://www.ifm.com/ifmus/web/pmain040_010_010.htm

Radar might be an option, most have programmable features to mask out the vapor and see the actual level. See link for one option. Stilling well may be an option for the turbulence. http://www.vega-amer...om/en/radar.htm Edited by Mickey

Thanks for the idea's guys. I have a spare IFM PS3407 that I may try in this aplication. Currently I am waiting on a trial new Ultrasonic head for the controller that I am using. We normally use Pulsar Ultrasonics ( http://www.pulsar-pm.com/ ). We have been normally using a DB6 head, but the guy came out the other day and said that Pulsar have recommended a DB15. He has guaranteed me that this will work, no work no sale. He actually told me that he would put his b@lls on the chopping block he was that sure that it would work. I will let you know how I get on. I have being trying to get the issue resolved another way in here. I asked the question why is there so much steam? There wasn't as much steam in that tank a month ago? I also said that the last time this kind of thing happened it was a process issue with x, and x was cleaned out, problem solved. Do you think they would listen....... Anyway, lets see how this new stronger Ultrasonic works. Conor

It seems as though one of these should work. Submersible level sensor

This may be a temporary solution, but I've had success putting Rain-X on the end of the ultrasonic. That should help your steam issue. Another solution would be radar. I've had success in similar situations with the Siemens LR probe. There is alot of options as far as programming to help avoid the obstacles. Siemens also will take your echo profile and give you good options as well.

Also a standard pressure transducer with a weight attached usually does the trick. KPSI makes some great products.

In general, ultrasonic is not steam friendly. Ultrasonic signal strength fades badly when the transducer gets condensation on it. The suggestion for Rainex is a common suggestion and it does have a good effect, but it's high maintenance. Radar is somewhat better in steam. If you have access to the bottom, have you considered an impulse line to a head pressure transmitter? A damping value will smooth out some of the turbulence that pressure 'sees'.

Finetek from Taiwan have an excellent range of level sensors. I would suggest a Finetek float would be the way to go with a Finetek instrument and Modbus comms if you wish or analogue. the problem with a lot of pressure level sensors is that they get 'confused' and put out incorrect readings with variation in temperature and/or SG. I have used the float type with great success on diesel fuel that is heated by the engine and returned to the tank - thus the SG is affected too. http://www.fine-tek.com/main/index.aspx?flag=1