Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GT6Steve

Enum's?

5 posts in this topic

Several years ago I worked on a nice RSView application that used Enum's to display extensive motor data lists for selected motors. Over 500 motors in the facility could be brought up to dispaly about 20 different parameters for each. I worked it at the time and was able to make changes. I can't say I fully understood it but I had a glimmer. Now I've forgotten. Can't someone point me to a treatise or discussion on the use of enumerated arrays? If that's the correct question..... BTW, this data came from Cutler Hammer Advantage contactors via Devicenet over their WDNPONI comms module. Edited by GT6Steve

Are you talking about RSView32, or one of the modern FactoryTalk View software products ? I'm not familiar with the term "Enums" or "Enumerated arrays", but I'm far less familiar with RSView32 than I am with FactoryTalk View. I do work a little with Placeholders, which allow you to substitute values for part of a tag path when opening a Display in FactoryTalk View. The approach I use is less HMI-specific: I have a single "HMI_Motor" data tag (usually a User Defined Tag) and move values from each motor's data tables or tag arrays into that one HMI_Motor tag for display and modification based on which motor is selected for detailed display.

Hmmm, Thanx Ken. I'm talking about RSView 32 but enum may be a carry over from the days of Labview. I certainly can't find a reference on the Internet beyond C++. I'll ponder what you've said above because you remind me that each motor had all of the "sub" tags in the dropdown window. a UDT for motors. I guess I'll do some study from there. Thanx for the insight... Steve Edited by GT6Steve

I've used RSView(32) since beta and have to say "ENUM" doesn't ring a bell, however what you are describing sounds just like "parameters" which work mostly the same in RSView32 and FTView. - If you're using RSView32 still, I recommend checking out Parameters, Parameter Files, $, and Placeholders in the help file and online manuals. - If you're using FTView, I recommend checking out all of the above, along with Embedded variables, Literals, Global Objects and Global Object Parameters in the help file and online manuals. These are great tools which allow for a graphic display screen, popup, or object to be created once but used with many different tags by either supplying new tags, or substituting part of a tag name (as Ken mentioned above) Good luck!

Thanx for the pointers Shawn, I will explore as you've indicated. As I'm stewing on it I recall inserting a number which related to the list. I could draw up any tag that was defined in the list by referencing the number. I recall colors were called up similarly. I'm entirely self taught and learning all of the time. Sometimes well, sometimes it's a struggle Thanx for the input, I'll pursue it. Steve