Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwalter

Relay/Contactor Reccomentaion

6 posts in this topic

I was looking for some help in picking a relay/contactor for my panel. I am rebuilding an auger machine for our company. I have decided to scrap the original, outdated control box for a simple ab830 plc. The machine uses 2 220v 3phase motors. One motor runs an agitator that will be turned on/off manually. The other motor runs continuously with a clutch/brake that will be given a timed signal from the plc to allow the auger to turn a predetermined revs. Can anyone recommend a contactor to use to receive a signal from the plc to operate as the on/off for each motor. thank you

Your best bet is to use an interposing relay (ice cube relay) to take the load of the contactor coil away from the plc. Then use a standard motor starter with overload protection for your loads. We use Eaton XTCE Contactors with XTOB overloads, or Siemens. I could give you part #s if you listed the HP or FLA of the motors.

Thanks for your help. the motors are 1.5hp each thnaks jason

I purchased 2 of the same machines from auction to build 1 working unit. One included some mods similar to what I am trying to do. It included a LC1K09-10F7 contactor connected to a LR2K0312 motor starter for the auger motor and a LC1K06-10F7 with a LR2K0308 for the agitator The contactors use a 110volt coil whic I think will not work with the PLC. If possible I would like to use the motor starters. thanks again

If you are getting a PLC with relay outputs, then you can switch the 110VAC to drive the contactor coil. If you are getting a PLC with transistor (24VDC) outputs, then you'll want to get an interposing relay to drive the contactor coil anyway. Lot of different choices out there for that. Automation Direct is a place to start. Look for relays with diode protection, such as this: http://is.gd/FhgAQR

Thanks for your help. I have it figured out now...onto programming the 830. thanks again