Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rw912

PLC Mitsubishi Help

18 posts in this topic

We've lost our PLC Support suddenly and have a problem before we've been able to secure new help. Unfortunately, the explanation that I’m going to give is not technical, but I hope someone here can point us in the right direction. We have an index on a machine that is not moving forward. This process is a two-step movement for packaging where step 1 is that an upward movement occurs to seal a package and then step 2 is the machine moves the product ahead in order to repeat the process. The movement ahead is not working, but the upward movement is occurring. We've replaced the drive and the card (FR-V5AP) on this machine, but still no movement. From what I understand, the PLC shows the run command going to the drive and the drive signal blinks like it’s receiving the message. Any ideas are appreciated.

If you have replaced the drive and card, did the correct parameters get loaded? A little more info on the hardware might be helpful as well. You might also want to say where you are located, as one of the talented people on this site might be able to pitch in some on-site help if properly per$uaded.

If the run signal blinks on the inverter, you have a correct start signal, but not a referenced speed setting/signal. In other words, the inverter is getting the start signal but don't know which speed to run at... As mentioned above, did you set up the new inverter with the parameters from the old inverter?

Thanks for your quick reply. We are in Savannah GA. I know enough about this setup to be dangerous I'm afraid. However, when you say did the correct parameters get loaded, are you referring to sending the parameters from the PLC software (MELSOFT GX Developer) to the machine? We did not as one of the maintenance guys who has a little experience here didn't think that was necessary as we've only replaced the drive and the card and not the Mitsubishi board itself. Does this make sense? I believe the drive is a Mitsubishi V500 based on what i see. It also says FR-V520-2K-NA. Does this help and again Thanks!

Unfortunately, the old inverter is not available. We've worked with the manual and set parameters that deal with the encoder, but have not been successful. We've also set the parameters that deal with the FR-V5AP board itself. Still no movement. We've also tried a new board. Do you have any ideas of how we can start with basic parameters? The inverter is a Mitsubishi V500 FR-V520-2K-NA.

You are obviously running some kind of positioning since you use the V5AP board, and there's several parameters that needs to be set correct in the inverter for it to function the way the machine was designed. Do you have any kind of documentation, or maybe your machine supplier has some documents? I think it will be a difficult task to "try and guess" which parameters should be what. Do you have any other options than guessing parameters?

No, we don't have any documentation unfortunately and the old inverter disappeared. So I’m afraid we are guessing. The supplier hasn’t been able to help at this point, but it may be that we're not able to competently explain the problem. That’s one of the reasons I began looking for a forum to help us. Your question of do we have any other options is the question that we're hoping for help for here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Well, it's a bit difficult to help you when you only say which inverter you have, and nothing about the control system nor the function of the specified inverter/machine. A good start would be to explain: 1. What other equipment (controller)? 2. Wiring? 3. Function of the inverter/machine? 4. What kind of positioning/why do you use the inverter expansion card? 5. What software do you have available? 6. Have you compared the working inverter with the new one? -Maybe that will give you some hints...

I agree with kaare_t. We need more information. As an alternative, have you tried getting your local Mitsubishi office or distributor involved? If they are too far from your location, there may be a local integrator that they can refer you to.

This machine is a packaging machine. The function of the inverter (FR-V5AP) is to move the index 300 mm per index and send a signal to the encoder indicating completion of the cycle in order to start again. We are using MELSOFT Series GX Developer 8.107M. The drive is a Mitsubishi V500 FR-V520-2K-NA and I believe the Mitsubishi board is a A1SJHcpu-ss. Does this offer any insight? I’m trying to get more information. We do not have the old inverter as it has disappeared. One thought is that we'd at least like to have the drive turn an index of any length to confirm that its working.

Thanks for the info, but cabling between the PLC and inverter would also be important.

You really need to contact Mitsubishi and determine if there is a distributor or system integrator in your area who can help. The GX Developer software is not used to load parameters into the drive. And as has been said, without the proper parameters being set, you can replace parts all day long and it won't work. Someone has to get eyes on this machine and see what can be determined.

Thank you for replying to my post. You've been very helpful with my knowledge curve. Per suggestions, i was able to locate a local expert who came in and as suggested, got "eyes on the machine" and was immediately able to correct our issue. He is now helping with a plan for us to understand this system and will be available for support. Thank you again!