Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pembuk

Kinetix 350 - synchronized single axis

5 posts in this topic

Hi All, I would like to ask you if it's possible to synchronize one axis based on CompactLogix L18 and Kinetix 350 (+MPL) with "variable" from an other PLC (actual position from master axis), which is constantly send by ethernet. I know that best way is use CAM profile. But I don't know how to use "variable" ( actual posiotion of master axis) to made virtual axis which will by real master axis for K350. Or maybe there are other options to quick and easy implementation? Many thans for any idea. Cheers, pembuk

What is the device sending the Position "Variable"? How accurate must it be? if you are after better than 1mm at all times (ie during accel and decel) then I do not think that you will have much success You would get better results by bringing the "master" position in via auxiliary feedback into a feedback only axis There are some standalone servo controllers that "follow" an encoder reference eg kinetix 300 in "master gearing" mode

Hi, I can get information about master position from other PLC (ControlLogix with sercos loop + Kinetix 6000 drives) by ethernet communication. I don't need any special accuracy ( it could be more then 1mm). May be is there some option to use CIP motion ethernet encoder from AB? But I don't have certainty that it's compatybile with L18 controller and kinetix 350 and can be used to make virtual axis. My application requires that slave drive will follow master conveyor by 350mm then go back and agian follow master conveyor. On conveyors we have trays which has about 600mm lenght and our new drive needs to be synchronized to this conveyor trought 350mm to do something on this trays. By the way, is there some option to use some variable as virtual axis?

Can you use the Control logix? It is possible to add an Ethernet Motion controller (eg Kinetix 350) to the existing motion group There are some limitations on Control Logix version for compatibility Your application is like a travelling knife shear - I hope that you are sizing the motor large enough to cope with the acceleration rates required for your master speed

I know that easiest way is use Control Logix but becuase of warranty and customer whish it's not possible tu use it. We need to build separated machine which be synchronized with master drive of production line. I calculate drive application using MotionAnalyzer so it should be enough :) I contacted with my Rockwell Automation local support to dissus this application and choose best option. I'm inclined to use CompactLogix L18, Kinetix 5500 and Ethernet CIP Motion Encoder (as reference signal). Only wait for approval from Rockwell that it'll be works.