Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

1756-DNB Can't Scan Slave Nodes after Studio 21 Upgrade

6 posts in this topic

I got maybe a quick question to bounce off others. I have a Control Logix in my LAB that I had previously configured a working DeviceNet network of slave cards. What I had previously in software was: RS Linx - 3.4 RS Logix 5000 - 17.01 RS Networks (DeviceNET) - 9.00 Then I bought a new Compact Logix L1, which at that point I was forced to upgrade to Studio. So when Studio installed it upgraded RS Linx of course... So now I have: RS Linx - 3.51.01 RS Studio 5000 - 21.00 RS Networks (DeviceNET) - 9.00 I am wondering if RS Linx broke my Networks or if anyone would know why on earth when I go into RS Linx now (3.51) that is shows my 1756-DNB card only, and won't browse any network slaves? I am missing something simple I assume.

Ugh, yeah, I have a feeling it's the RSNetworx version. Version 9 actually had a bad reputation; they farmed out some of the work to a Rockwell software office in Europe and a bunch of cross-version checking was just chucked out the window because they were given a specific narrow set of compatibility limits. V10 and V11 came back to Mayfield Heights and were much more carefully built and tested. Can you install an updated RSNetworx ?

Ken, I can install an update, I have a support contract, but I was baffled. Me thinking logically, I knew that RS Linx was not finding the slaves. So if LINX can't browse the slaves, I know for certain that Networks won't work. So here is what I finally did. I completely UNINSTALLED and REINSTALLED 3.51 Rs Linx. I added my EDS files back into Linx with EDS Wizard...and VOILA it worked....Linx was drilling into the SLAVES from the Master Card, so then when I switched over to RS Networks 9.0, that works now again too. I dunno what happened or why, but that's what I did to fix it. The root problem was Linx. The rest of Linx seemed to work great, I.E. Ethernet/IP drivers, DF1 drivers etc...so problem solved.

I believe it's actually the RSL5K/Studio5K Drives Profiles AOPs included within the install package that thrashed RSNetWorx. I have had six thirty nodes RSNetWorks 10.01 for DNet application files going totally question marked upon Studio 5K 21.00 "full" installation.... Of course RS TechSupport suggested the upgrade to 11.00 (requiring different FT Services revision!); the machine in cause was also running FTVS ME and I couldn't possibly take it down for the (at least!) eight hours required by the "proper" implementation of their "solution"... I actually ran the NetWorx EDS Wizard and created (uploaded) new .eds files from the devices which's electronic datasheets files were not available within Rockwell's .EDS Database; it took just short of three hours with the exception of four IDENTICAL 1397 DC Drives (Rev.2.01-Last one released); the Wizard will upload for five minutes per instance, prompt that the file was created and registered and then promptly and invariably "question mark" again.... ...Reboot and Harmony "destruction" did not help... Went back and forth with TechSupport (both Software and Drives divisions) for a week!.... ...Either new guys/galls who have never dealt with 1397s or old timers who were questioning the health of perfectly functional devices.... After TechSupport's resolution arrived (REPLACE WITH 100HP POWERFLEX DC!!!!????), all fed up, dug up an old laptop, retrived some ten years old .eds file and compared it to the ("deffective") one created by NetWorx 10.01 text line after text line...I couldn't believe what I have found.... ...Any Major Firmware Revision Level uploaded from the drive by NetWorx 10.01 EDS Wizard was at LEVEL 0 !!!!???...Since I have uploaded at least ten times or so, I don't belive it was an user issue...edited the uploaded .eds for content (replaced 0 with 1 in all Major revision instances!) and away we went... ....NetWorx doesn't seem to care if the proper Major Revision is listed within the registered .eds file as long as it is not 0...Go figures....

Chris RSnetworx v9 does not work when V21 of logix installed You must install ver 21 of RSnetworx Also - I would recomend you to install RSlinx 3.60 - it is more stable and has some important fixes

Yeah...I pretty much figured that out today when I figured out that I can't configure the master scan list any more. I finally just moved over to an older Windows XP box that has the older RS Logix 5000....I guess I need to upgrade Networks.