Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GT6Steve

Unrecognized device-yellow question mark?

4 posts in this topic

I have a big Logix5000 Ethernet system where I can access all of the remote PLC's thru my workstation. But one. There are two subloops on the network supporting vendors devices. On one I can access all of the L32E devices but on the other all of the subordinate PLC's don't see the processor via the Ethernet address. Shows a yellow question mark and "unrecognized device". It does however know they are L32E compactLogix devices. what must I do to these six PLC's to allow the remote access? Is this a coherent question? Thanx, Steve

Sounds like you need to update your EDS file for an ethernet card. Go to Rockwell Software--> RSLinx--> Tools -->EDS Hardware Installation Tool... but first you need to download the latest EDS file for the ethernet card that is giving you the yellow question mark from the AB site.

Thank You Mike, After 24 hours of studying and pondering your analysis makes perfect sense to me. That vendor had a lot of issues with the HMI's so it seems likely that they went from our standard RSLogix Version 17.01 to a Version 19 in an attempt to resolve their problem. Hence, my network doesn't recognize the device. The one flaw in that theory that I'm chewing on is that their Main Control Panel recognizes all of their Local Control Panels but yet my network can access their MCP. Suggesting it is a version 17 as well. I'm thinking of installing a Version 19 EDS on my V17 host to see if they are similar enough to explain the above. (No surprise really but that did not work ) Edit 2 (Actually, something has changed, I now have a green flag where the question mark was????) Regardless, Thank You for pointing me to the EDS's. I'd have not gotten that on my own... Regards, Steve Edited by GT6Steve

I've had trouble connecting CLX software to cimm cards because the comm card had a higher Rev level than RSLinx had. The error you are getting is the same as I've seen and all I did was update the EDS file for the device (in my case I had issues with a couple of ENBT ethernet cards). Since you have a green flag that at least means that you're hardware in RSLinx is up to date. Are all of the IP addresses on the same subnet?