Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brinkmann

ML1400 with HSC?

5 posts in this topic

We are using a ML1400 (1766-L32BWA) with an Ethernet connection. We have 2 sensors which are Hall Effect Speed Sensors. Can we add the 1769-HSC (High speed counter) ? Or do we need to get the ML1500 and then add the 1761-NET-ENI Ethernet module ? Or is there a better way ? Thanks in advance !

The MicroLogix 1400 has built-in High Speed Counter circuits that allow you to use the first few embedded inputs in high-speed counting applications. Is there a particular hardware reason you think the 1769-HSC is the only MicroLogix family input module that you can use ? Exactly what voltages are the hall effect sensors ? What speed signal to you expect from them ? Are you trying to measure velocity, or position, or flow, or something else ? Your exact question was really one about I/O platforms, and you have the basic idea correct: MicroLogix 1400 only uses 1762 series I/O, and MicroLogix 1500 only uses 1769 series I/O.

Thanks Ken Kind of figured the 1769 was for the ML1500, really no reason for it. We are using the Blu-White FCXX10AT Flow sensor. http://www.bluwhite.com/Products/ElectronicFlow/digiFloSensor/SensorProduct.asp and Red Lion ARCJ-1AZO C-Face Adapter (Speed) . http://www.redlion.net/Products/DigitalandAnalog/Sensors/MotorsGears/ARCJ.html I see that there is a HSC Command but in my Starter version and older RS 500 (7.00 build 19) they are grayed out. What version is required to get that function? (How much money to I have to spend? lol.)

The ladder-logic HSC instruction was only for configuring the high-speed counter feature on the old fixed SLC's and the MicroLogix 1000. The newer MicroLogix family controllers have functions that are called 'HSC', but don't use that specific instruction. Instead, they use Function Files to set up the high speed counters. There is a good 'quick start' document on the RA Knowledgebase for MicroLogix 1100/1200/1400/1500 high speed counter configuration, Answer ID # 17447 (TechConnect Required). The High Speed Counter features are documented in Chapter 5 and 6 of the MicroLogix 1400 Reference manual, Publication 1766-RM001. If you just have the User Manual (1766-UM001), get the -RM001 manual as well.

There is a sample for the ML1200 in the downloads section. The ML1400 is similar. Don't forget to lower your input filters on the HSC inputs. The defaults are usually too high to catch short pulses from flow meters and encoders. http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=17265