Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iJAF

Modbus Grundfos Pump CIM200 - Problems

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I have to integrate several grundfos pumps with modbus interface CIM200. Firstly i'm using a modbus scanner (modbus poll) to check the registers. But I cant communicate sucessfuly with the cim200 module. When observing the data in message exchanges(just reading reg 23 ) : 000002-Tx:4E 03 00 17 00 01 3A 31 000003-Rx:FF 4E 03 02 00 4E 6D TX - Is my master software RX - Is the slave I'm testing with add. nº78 (4E hex) The response from the slave has a FF byte before the response itself, in every message exchanged!! How is this possible ?! Thank you !

Your response is missing the one of the two CRC bytes; it should be 4E 03 02 00 4E 6D BE but I don't think that's your problem when the low order half the CRC is correct. It appears that the master is looking for a response too soon, earlier than the response is actually arriving and has time to receive what it thinks is a start bit and the following line logic state that it interprets as all ones. I'll bet that you're probably running 8-N-1, with no parity so there's not even a parity check on the bogus data word. There's probably a setting (sometimes called turn around) that tells the master to wait x milliseconds before looking for a response. Try increasing that value to see what happens.

Thank you! This modbus telegram was from an app called modbus poll, that I used to test the equipment. Yes, i'm using 1stopbit with none parity check and 8 databits (modbus rtu). With this software i'm just seeing that i can only change the response timeout, the delay between polls and the scan time to the slaves! Edited by iJAF

Maybe try using even or odd parity, in hopes that the bogus leading byte will be rejected.

The lack of hard biasing, pull -up or pull down resistors that drive the bus lines to a known state during the idle condition when no driver is active can cause a false data bit, which the UART can interpret as a start bit. I suspect that the absence of data following a start bit could show up as FF because I think a logic zero shows up as a one in serial voltage logic. It might be worth looking into biasing resistors. Pages 7 and 8, Failsafe Biasing, in the Analog Devices RS-485 Circuit Implementation manual gives a sample calculation. http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/application_notes/AN-960.pdf