Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjb5x4

Firmware updates

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out an easy way to keep track of all of my controllers/comm modules like en2dns and dnbs firmware revisions and whether they are up to date or not. I am finding it difficult to easily know whether modules are updated without going to each one and checking its revision versus the revision available on rockwells site. Is there a tool out there to make this easier that I am missing or any tips that could help me with this? I can't say I have ever been proactive about keeping these up to date so I welcome all feedback!

This is a great question. I have the same issue. With reduced staff and more work, things like keeping track of software and firmware revisions are low on the list. I use a spreadsheet but there definitely needs to be a better way. I hope someone out there has a solution they are willing to share.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/assetmgmt/assetcentre/overview.page

I use AssetCentre for tracking program modifications/changes. To browse firmware I use RSLinx. Expand the controller/comm module, right click and select "Device Properties"

I also have asset center, but I guess I have not used it to try and get the firmware information for every file. I have well over 200 devices so going through one by one in device properties off of rslinx would not be very efficient. Is there a specific query that can be run in asset center to attain this information? I do not see anything at first glance that would work.

I found this program while searching for things to do this task: http://windows.podnova.com/software/715219.htm it is called ferret, may give it a shot and see what results I get

Just do not download it from the link you have posted. Use http://www.rockwellautomation.com/products-technologies/integrated-architecture/overview.page (Bottom, Application Tools) SystemFerret will have to be deployed manually over user defined subnet levels and will return .xml reports which could be handled via MS Excel. Edited by dmargineau

I downloaded it from rockwell's site, on first use it accomplished exactly what I wanted an excel sheet of every device including E3s and vfds with revision and serial numbers. This will make it easy for me to keep track of any revisions that need updates with changes made to the network.