Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rcm

RSL5K I/O assignment

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, new to the forum due to having problems on a new system of course. Looks like a lot of good info on here, but can't find the elementary stuff I'm looking for so here goes. My company just transitioned from an old Honeywell LM 620 to the RSL5K. Our program was built and installed for us by a third party so my knowledge of building I/O is limited. We have just installed two new valves and I am needing to build outputs to open/close them and inputs from the valve limit switches. I am trying to build this logic offline and it is not letting me assign the field I/O addresses. Does this have to be online, and if so, can I only assign card points as I am building or can I build the points first, add logic and then insert into rungs? I had some basic level 1 training,ControlLogix Fundamentals and Troubleshooting, but there was nothing regarding building/assigning I/O. Any help is much appreciated.

You cannot assign communications addresses but to devices which are "addressable"; these are most of the time the field installed communication adapters which control the said field installed I/Os. So start by deciding of what type of I/O are you going to use and then, depending of the available, implemented networking protocols, choose a Communication Adapter suitable to control the chosen I/O type. Once decided what adapter you are going to use, prior to adding the I/O modules, you will have to add (and "address") the communications adapter first to either the RSL5K Offline or Online application file and then add the I/O modules which will be controlled by the adapter. Refer to Chater 5 of: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm094_-en-p.pdf

Sorry, clarification: All of the communications and adapters are in place and modules have many spare points to use. My problem is assigning these spare points in the routine but the link you provided appears to have the info I need. Thank you.

Are the inputs and outputs that you wish to use already in your system (spares)? If so, are they on the main rack or on a network node (like Flex I/O?) If they are on the main rack, then locate the rack location and I/O point in that slot. (All slots are numbered starting at 0 (from the left). If it is an input, the address will be Local:x:i.data.y, where x is the slot number and y is the input point. For outputs, the numbering is the same, but replace the I with an O.

Yes, they are already in the system as spares. Not sure if they are considered Flex I/O or not. The main rack only has processor, communication, and redundancy modules set up in it. All other racks are linked via ethernet. I was thinking I remembered seeing where I could select the assiged slot through the backplane from the controller organizer and see point assignment for that card and even assign new points for use in the program, but I can't figure out how to get to that point.

Within the Controller Tags database find the name of the communication adapter "handling" the remote I/O and expand it; you will then be able to reference the individual module's Input and Output data. Normally, the user will create an Alias Type Tag for any hardware defined tags, this way including the respective's point functionality within the project. Edited by dmargineau