Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve G

RS232 Controllogix to SLC

9 posts in this topic

Good morning to you all, I am in the middle of a project were I need to send and receive some data, to and from a SLC PLC and a Contrologix PLC via the serial post. I am having some issues setting this up and am unable to get the right data sent and received. My question is can I use MSG instruction with the serial ports of the two PLC's or will I have to Use ASCII read and rights to accomplish this. If I have to use serial read and write commands what is the best way to do this. Thanks will all the help.

You will not be able to explicit message data using the controllers serial ports; you could transfer data between the CPUs using ASCII commands. What type SLC processor are you using and what are the existing ControLogix implemented communications (if any)?

I do messaging over ethernet between ML1100's and CLX boxes all the time. Does the SLC have an ethernet port?

Of course you can use MSG instructions to transfer data to and from SLC and ControlLogix serial ports. I recommend using the SLC Typed Read and SLC Typed Write functions and using the ControlLogix to implement the messaging. Post some details on what you have tried. Quick tips: 0. Use DF1 Full Duplex mode. 1. Use CRC error checking; it's default on the SLC and selectable on the Logix. 2. Use a null modem cable between the ports. 3. Create an INT[x] array tag or two in the ControlLogix to hold the SLC data.

Thanks Ken I currently have a SLC 504 and Compact Logix L23, I guess one of my problem has been the serial setting. I will change them to what you have told me they need to be and then give it a try. When I tried the SLC type Read and write functions I have received the error not such register in target device, or something to that nature. I have also tryed to use acii string read and write to accomplish this but with no luck Thanks again and will post the outcome after I try your settings

The "invalid register" error is a good sign; it suggests that your physical wiring and port configurations are correct. Be sure the data files you are requesting actually exist; try 1 register, then several. Exactly what are the data registers you are trying to read and write in the SLC ?

Thanks for all the help with this, I was able to get it working. I messed up at had the wrong communication path set. I was using 1,0 and it should have been 2,1. This is the address for the serial port on the L23 PLC. Thanks again

Thank you for posting the followup ! The CIP Path "1, 0" sends the message back to the CompactLogix CPU itself, so it makes sense that it gave an "invalid register" error.