Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtpetty

Transitioning to Logix5000

4 posts in this topic

A little background: I have been messing with (modifying ladder & GUI) on a system running on A SLC 5/04 with Logix500 as the programming enviornment and RSView32 for the GUI. I guess was is a fairly comlex system with about 30 routines and 1000 rungs. We have now been upgraded to Logix 5561 hardware with Logix5000 & thankfully still RSView32. The old program was pretty much brute force logic - i.e. a lot of almost identical routines with equivalent rungs just different sensors & motors. The new system has 129 routines and who knows how many rungs. It's doing pretty much the same thing (no changes to the hadware being controlled) but in a much more struture to the logic. Biggest changes I see are the plain language tags vs addresses (nice) and the arrays of tags. (Takes a bit more programming when I just want to modify one element). Enough background! The question I have today is about contoller tags. Let's say I have an array - config(21).my_bool_prop. I can see in the "monitor tags" window that each element has a default value (0 or 1). While in "remote run" mode I can modify values for elements and the change happens immediately. (So far, so good). But the next day the values have reverted back to their "defaults". How do I modify permanetely or change the default - same thing I guess. Thanks in advance for your help.

What you describe in your question about the value reverting is really no different behavior than any other PLC. The difference will be finding out where it is being written from. Right click on the tag then choose 'Go To Cross Reference for "config(21).my_bool_prop". In the Cross Reference window there is a column labeled "Destructive". Look for an item (or items) in the list where a 'Y' is present under the Destructive column. This is where the program is writing to this tag. If there are no 'Y's listed, then this value is being written from your RSView32. I'm not sure about RSView32 but I do know that in FT View, a Maintained Button will cause this behavior.

Ya... "find all" is worthless in RS5000. In 500, it shows you everywhere a tag is used, in 5000 you have to use 'cross reference' to see that.

That sort of comment makes me mad. I spend a lot of time teaching people how to use the search correctly. Yes, it has been much maligned over the years, but is brought about because of a lack of understanding. I suggest you review the "Help" on the RSLogix5000 search facilities, and perhaps then you will retract your comments about the search functions. They do work, you just need a driving lesson.