Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RTRBURN

Transition to AB from Mitsubishi

6 posts in this topic

Morning Everyone, not sure if this is the correct forum or if it should have been in the general forum. Thought I'd get more insight here...Move if need be. I have been wanting to learn AB for a few years but being in a Facility that only has Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi being the only PLC product line I have used. I have been one of the "lucky' ones and have not had any post high school education to learn my field. I started off as a maintenance helper 13 yrs ago and have moved up to plant electrician to now one of the electrical engineers little over a year ago. Been trying to go to the local Technical college to get an AAS in Engineering but my company has backed out of that agreement we had made when taking this position...but that's another story all together. So taking matters into my own hands again. I have searched online and watched some videos and downloaded a few trainers with visual aid to show the automation process and have gotten them to work fine. I was wondering how difficult is it to learn AB in a "real world" setting with Mitsubishi only experience. I honestly know very little about the AB product line, only hear of different product lines from being mentioned in conversations. I have been looking at other Engineering positions but most companies want AB experience and don't want to get in over my head. As the old saying goes "can't teach an old dog new tricks"...being 37 makes you feel old as you look back. I have done it all from building a complete robotic welding cell from scratch to helping to put a $14m production line together and working the bugs out. I just don't like limitations when it comes to my knowledge base. I'm sure some have switch from one brand to another and was wanting your input of your experience of the learning curve. We have had engineers before me that came from AB to Mitsubishi and struggled. Our other engineer knows both platforms and says AB is easier to learn and says i would have no problem learning it quickly. I just want to say thanks in advance for any help that may be given. Ryan Edited by RTRBURN

37? Old? Ha! Try 55. And that ain't old. Old starts when you die. I moved from Siemens TI555's and AB SLC to Siemens S5 and S7 and Direct Logic (8 bit boxes) to CLX (with "FoxBox DCS and Delta V programming in the mix along the way). Programming an S7 is similar to programming the CLX in that it's tag based, it has UDT's, Function block, structured text, etc. I prefer the way that Siemens handles what Allen Bradley calls AOI's but other than that I prefer the CLX plc's. The CLX box will spoil a person. At least I think it has me. Tag structure is a big deal. Especially if you interface with an HMI. I could go on and on but how you do with CLX is going to depend a lot on how you start. Have fun with it.

I started with Mitsubishi then moved into AB, and I found the transition fairly simple. It's probably better to start with the MicroLogix 1100 for two mains reasons. First, the ML1100 is fairly inexpensive and has built in Ethernet, you can use the free version of RS Logix 500, and the way data is handled is most similar to the Mitsubishi (i.e. fixed addressing.). So you can focus on learning how to use the software without worrying about things like tag-based architecture, and high price-point. Then when you're comfortable you can switch to RS Logix 5000 and the CompactLogix or ControlLogix and learn about tags, etc. I just got an ML1100 on eBay for testing purposes, and it cost me about $350. You can get a cable from the store in this forum, and you'll be ready to learn in under $400. If you've built production lines, you won't need to buy a trainer, you can just assemble your own from spare parts. It sounds like you're doing this on your own, so paying for training may not be an option, but you'll get many good recommendations for the PLC Boot Camp. And as always, ask lots of questions!

Thanks guys...much appreciated. Downloading the free software now and looking online for used controllers.

I started out on PLC 5 and got what I called an expert on GE. I feel comfortable with Mitsubishi. The iQ Software is so much better than ther previous software. I now am taking on RSLogix 5000. Not bad but I have to start out in small steps then once the projects get going I do get good at it. I know on both the Rockwell site and the Mitsubishi site (MEAU.com) they have conversion documents. Should be good reading.

I've used GX Developer and Rockwell stuff and Rockwell is way easier. But that just might be because I'm a Rockwell person primarily. Keep in mind though Rockwell only now just added the capability to upload program comments to some of their processors, so you won't have that on Micrologix or SLC and only a few CLX processors. Edited by The Turkey Slayer