Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe E.

1756-EN2T IP setup problem

8 posts in this topic

I have a weird one. 1756-EN2T module with an IP already set (it was removed from a test rack that was working properly). I need to change the subnet. I can plug into the USB port on the front and find it in RSLinx, browse the backplane, do everything one would expect. When I try to change the IP configuration by right-clicking and selecting "Module Configuration", I get this as soon as I hit "Apply":: The network is not connected, and the module is not configured in the PLC's project (same result if processor isn't in the rack at all) The module is running v4.003 firmware. On this computer, I'm using RSLinx Classic Lite 2.59.00 CPR 9 SR 5 installed in an XP Pro SP3 VM running on a Win7 Enterprise host. Any ideas?

Are the IP address and Default Gateway in the same subnet ? I've seen ENBT modules reject configuration changes that would have resulted in incompatible IP and Default Gateway addresses. 0x0C is typically a "device state conflict", where the device is saying "I can't do that right now", rather than "I don't know how to do that." In the worst case, use a CPU to send a "Reset" service to it and start from scratch.

I have not done much with the USB on the EN2T. I did try it and get the same error. The EN2T has rotery switches to set the final octive in the IP address. as in 192.186.0.xxx set switches to 888 and apply power and this resets card. I have had other issues with the EN2T. It seems to have a DHCP. If I have a Stactic address configured on my pc I get an error message. I have got the IP address to switch many times but the card is more difficult to change using BOOTp method.

A colleague politely reminded me about the rotary switches yesterday. The IP address was being set by the switches, disallowing my manual configuration. I need the address to be 192.168.2.x, so I couldn't use the rotary switches. As soon as I set the switches to 999 (outside the range 0-254 and not 888), everything took off and worked properly. I guess that's my "dumb move" of the week. We're all allowed one, right? In my defense, I've only ever used the EN2T once before, over a year ago. Most of my experience is with ENBTs.
1 person likes this

Aha! So the "object state conflict" makes sense. Betcha that's a common error. Thanks for posting the followup !

What? All these years I have been using up two to five of them per week... :) +1 more for the follow-up. Edited by OkiePC

I did reply to the OP, suggesting it might be the switches setting the IP address, but then read that he was trying to change the subnet mask. So I deleted my post, thinking this wasn't the issue. I'm guessing the EN2T automatically sets the mask to 255.255.255.0, because 192.168.1.xxx is a "Class C" internet address. But it is also a "Private" address, meaning that routers and gateways don't allow 192.168.1.xxx traffic on the WAN. Sort of contradictory to me....

daba: Sorry, wasn't clear. It was using 192.168.1.xxx and I needed to use 192.168.2.xxx. I'm not anywhere near a networking guru, so my terminology probably isn't quite correct, leading to confusion. Thanks for the help, all.