ChinthanaW

Absolute Encoder + OMRON CP1E PLC

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried to connect absolute encoder with OMRON CP1E PLC, This is the first time I'm going to try this so please advice me on, 1. the connection diagram 2. PLC settings 3. Which instruction has to use for read the encoder value. This information is very valuable for me before purchase anything.

Standard Absolute encoders will NOT work with a CP1E. The encoder input on the CP1E is just a high speed counter. It has no functionality for support of Absolute encoders. The exception to this rule is if it is a special kind of absolute encoder that will just send out its absolute position (by sending out pulses) when requested. I have seen an encoder by TR Electronics like that. It is essentially just standard incremental encoder that will report its initial position by pulses when you turn on a digital input to the encoder (output from CP1E). The CP1E just has to count these pulses. Most absolute encoders do not work this way.

Haven't tried it myself, but I suppose something likethisshould work, but the BCD version has limited resolution, the CP1 series seems to lack a gray decode instruction, and there won't be many inputs left on a "small" CP1E. Another option might be an encoder with 4-20mA analog output? Geir

Ah yes, a gray code encoder will also work, but it is not using the high speed counter functionality of the CP1E. It is just using standard inputs and then doing a gray code conversion (as mentioned, the GRY (Gray Code conversion) instruction is not available in the CP1E). This is another special kind of absolute encoder. Speed and resolution will both be limited with this type of absolute encoder.

Hi,i have omron cp1e and i need connect cp1e's pwm output to cp1e's input ,what can ido? for input wich instruction i can use?