Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter SD

DeviceNet in 64 Bit with RSlogix 5000 and 1756-DNB

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Thanks in advance for all your help and information I have already received as a non member. I have a new project and have just moved on to using DeviceNet. I have RSNetworx for DeviceNet V11, Rslogix 5000 V20, Rslinx Classic Lite 2.59 (should not be lite, need to find out why) Running on Windows 7 64 Bit. Also using Factorytalk SE and ME for the HMIs. I have a 1756-DNB scanner and am connecting to 3 VFDs. I don’t have much of and EDS file but it uses 4 words in and 4 out. No parameters. I set up the network in RSNetworx and can see the scanner and the VSDs. I have configured both and can see the whole network in RSLinx under the EthernetIP route. I have created the Devicenet config file for use in the Logix program and have that loaded and the scanner switched to RUN. That’s the good parts. This is where I’m now not sure of what I’m doing and have a couple of questions. In RSLinx do I need to create a Devicenet driver to allow the communications? In Linx there is no option for the devicenet driver. I understand that is a problem with 64 bit but have not resolved it. I am not a member of Techconnect and cannot see the solution. I don’t want to pay the cash unless I need it. (as a side note, I don’t understand why I have to pay to find out how to configure windows to work with the expensive software.) In RsLogix I have the Scanner installed but cannot see the drives in the tree. And the ‘Discover Modules’ is grayed out. Is this normal?. I Know that the actual polled data is in the Devicenet memory allocated in the Controller Tags. I am not sure it’s configured correctly as there is no input data coming from the VSDs. I hope I am making some sense with this. I have done extensive searching and reading of the manuals but am still unsure of what I should be seeing. Thanks Peter

Welcome to the Forum ! It sounds like you have the basic ideas of Scanner scanlist entries sorted out. The 1756-DNB scanlist and RSLogix 5000 1756-DNB Module I/O tags are the way the network and the controller trade data. DeviceNet safety devices do bridge through the 1756-DNB and go into the I/O tree, but you're doing ordinary scanlist comms. You don't need a DeviceNet driver in RSLinx; you'll "drill down" from the EtherNet/IP driver to the backplane and through the 1756-DNB. It sounds like you've already done so. Are there error codes scrolling across the 1756-DNB display, associated with the drives ? Can you describe exactly what make and model of drive you're using ? Forum members might have direct experience with their DeviceNet adapters.

Thanks for the speedy reply. The Drive is an Invertek Optidrive (PDF) With a OPT-2-DEVNT-IN Device net card. See file. Unfortunately i'm remote from the system right now but have been told that there are no errors on the scanner. I just had the incredibly good idea of looking at the message in the tag list it alternates between RUN and A#01 I would expect to see some sort of data activity in the input tags. The Local:2:S.ActiveNodeRegister[0] = 2#0000_1000 (looks like node 3 to me) I have the one drive connected at node 3. Peter 82-DEVNET-CC DeviceNet Interface Iss 1.10.pdf Edited by Peter SD

Hi Peter, Ken has already given you some valuable information regarding RSLinx, but please let me amplify on what has been said. RSLinx is a communications driver package that just allows the software on your PC (eg. RSLogix5000, RSNetworx, etc.) to talk to the A-B hardware. RSLinx does nothing to enable communications from your PLC to the devices on your network. Suppose you have an Ethernet connection to your PLC setup, RSLinx would need an Ethernet driver to enable comms into the system, so that RSLogix5000 can "attach" itself to the controller for online programming/monitoring/upload/download, and RSNetworx can "attach" itself to the devices on the network for configuration/upload/download of the device parameters. Suppose you have a Serial connection to your PLC setup, RSLinx would need a Serial driver....ditto Suppose you have a USB connection to your PLC setup, RSLinx would need a USB driver....ditto (although this driver would be "plug and play", you wouldn't have to create it yourself. As Ken said, you would just use whatever communication method (and hence RSLinx driver needed), to "hook-up" to your hardware to allow you to do "online" things.... RSLinx Lite is fine, but has limited access to 6 DeviceNet nodes. This is "evaluation" or "demo" mode, I suspect not legal to use commercially, and that a license should be obtained. As to your problem... Have you put a rung in your code that turns the DeviceNet network into "Run" mode..? see pic....

Thanks for the explanation, explains some things that were bugging me. I did indeed put that rung in to put the scanner into run. And a few other things too for status and data etc. I do have about 12 licences for this project including Linx. Haven't had time to find out why it's not active. I recently re-hosted them from my laptop to the final server. I'm in Brasil and the server is in Scotland. I'll have someone make some data available to test the comms. Big project for me, has Controlnet, Devicenet, Profibus, Serial, EthernetIP. Seems it's always the comms that makes my head hurt most. Hopefully only Profibus to do now. Thanks again. Peter Edited by Peter SD

Update. I had the local guys modify the motor driver settings to send the heatsink temp as a parameter. Read it on the PLC as 17 (degrees C) Yay. I was thought the system was not working because the only data that showed were zeros. Thanks for all the help. Peter