Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ScottyH

Modbus TCP

8 posts in this topic

I am setting up some instruments, PLC inputs on Modbus TCP communicating to my PLC through Ethernet using an EN2T card, with the L75. The linking module is Pepperl and Fuchs LB8111. I have read the P&F manuals but still do not know how to access the needed device data. Has anyone used this product before. Is there a Modbus TCP sample logic for RSLogix 5000?

Modbus/TCP protocol is not built into the ControlLogix, but it can be implemented, with some effort, using the Open Sockets feature of the 1756-EN2T. There are samples in the RA Sample Code database; search for document ID "MMS_062368". This is pretty tricky code. If I had the choice, I would use a standalone bridge module or a slot-mounted network module. Prosoft Technology makes popular and reliable Modbus/TCP modules for the ControlLogix.

Another vote for the ProSoft Modbus TCP module. It's easy to set up and works great

Thanks!! I have down loaded the sample file and looking it over. Yes the code does look quite tricky but I appreciate the help. I guess this is what I needed

Go with the ProSoft MNET card, way easier than the "example"

Thanks for the input. I think what you are saying is perhaps I chose the wrong Ethernet card and I could use a much easier implimentation. I will look into it. Thanks! Looking into exchanging the 1756-EN2T for Prosoft MNET card.

The EN2T is great for SCADA or HMI comm as well as remote IO connectivity (and of course connecting to the PLC) so if you need to do any of those things you need both cards

Link to the MNET card Link to the MNETC (multi-client) card