Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
C.Z

Ways to push PLC generated alarms to smart phones

7 posts in this topic

Hi all, My boss just assigned me this task to figure out a way to push alarms generated by AB PLC to the smart phones of on-site technicians because my boss think I have got some computer programming background. But at this moment I have no clues at all. Only thing I can think of is the so called RSView32 Web Server, which lets you create a web server for your HMI so you can access it remotely. By that way sure I can see the alarms but it is really "pushing" anything to phones. So if there is any recommendations or suggestions, I will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Some of the AB products have email sending capability. Emails can be formatted for the various cell phone providers to be received as a text message.

Hello, PeakHMI can send emails to users based on an alarm.

I use RSLinx OPC and C#. Relayed through ATT.

If you are using a ControlLogix PLC and it has has an ethernet card in it you can program the PLC to send brief email and text messages. Most phone providers allow you to send email as a text message by using phonenumber@cellproviderservice.com/net/whatever. There is a technote in the Allen Bradley Knowledgebase at AB.com on how to do this. You will need a tech-connect contract to access the KB and RSLogix5000 PLC programming software. Edited by TConnolly

There is a package out there called U.C. ME. It is OPC-based, and can interface with HMI packages and PLC hardware, and send SMS text messages or emails to cell phones, or alphanumeric messages to pagers. If you have a connection to a mail server, it will be able to send emails for alarms. It will also allow you to take remote control from your cell phone. To work the SMS messages, you will need a cellular modem. It is easy to configure, and very robust, but we had to abandon the cell phone functionality pursuit due to RF restrictions at our location and security concerns about the two-way accessibility. Otherwise, it looks great. you can find more information here: www.controlsee.com Hope this helps... Edited by bartolim

Win911 is built for exactly that kind of application. It runs on a PC and connects to your PLCs. You set up the tags you want to be alarms, and then set up messaging. You can either do it via text message (in which case you need an SMS box with a cell phone number activated at your carrier), or you can do it via a smartphone app over the internet. There are a ton of options and you can even set individual scheduling for people, so the 1st shift maintenance guy for example only gets alarms during the week on 1st shift, and the weekend on-call guy only gets the alarms that happen on the weekend. And so on. For what you're doing, I'd recommend going the internet route if everyone involved has a smart phone. The app is very flexible and lets you acknolwedge alarms remotely, see a history, etc. If there are people with regular cell phones in the mix, go with SMS. Edited by The Turkey Slayer