Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Conor

L35E Read/Write messaging

2 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, I am using an L35E as a centralized data collection point for my site. I have about 12 PLC's that I need to Read/Write info to. With the exception of two of the PLC's I only have a cuople of tags in most of these. The PLC's that I am Read/Writing to are PLC5's, SLC's and CompactLogix, mainly L35E's. I have structured a messaging counter to trigger each Read or Write in sequence with a timer doing the addition and resettingat a specific number. My timer runs at 100 ms per count. I have each seperate Message at a different count. I was wondering what is the best way of checking how my PLC is performing with all of these messages running, or is it going to be ok as I have the messages running at seperate times (counts). Is there a GSV that I can run to see my system performance. Also, what would the optimal time for the timer be? I.E. is 100 ms too fast or slow? Thanks, Conor

For up to a modest amount (let's say 4 words -- that'd be 8 DINT's [16 bit integers]), I see great success running message enable times of as low as 10 milliseconds. This is on Compact/Control Logix platforms, SLC-505's, and MicroLogix platforms over ethernet. Anything over a serial connection, DataHighway Plus, or through a Net-ENI, I typically will not go any lower than 20 milliseconds.