Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Water Ratz

Reliance AutoMate to ControlLogix conversion

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, Was wondering if anybody here has any experience with converting an existing Reliance AutoMate system over to a ControlLogix platform. The current system is roughly 2,000 I/O points which runs a process that is used 24/7. The challenge is to make this conversion happen in 7 days or less. I have talked to a few people on how to pull this off but am wondering if there is anybody out there that has direct experience with doing a conversion like this.

No Direct experience with the Reliance Automate, but i've been involved in several PLC5 to Control Logix upgrades on Process Systems. It looks to me after a quick browse of the manuals that AutoMAte I?o can be accessed thru Remote I/O from newer AB PLC's. I'd do your upgrade in 2 phases. Phase 1 - a small CLGX Rack with a CPU, EN2T and DHRIO Card. Keep your AUTOMATE I/O and get the system running. You can test your new system on downtime windows and always fall back to the AUTOMATE until the bugs are out. Phase 2 - COnvert the AUtomate IO to COntrol Logix Point IO. - This phase will involve minimal coding changes as those happened in Phase 1. Just my humble 2 cents. Good Luck and keep us psoted on this project.

Is the CLX already operational? Is the CLX running part of the system? I assume your using Reliance AutoMax processors for the AutoMate IO?

The last time I saw this come up in my experience, the head of engineering contracted it out to Rockwell directly. I guess when AB bought out Reliance, they built some Reliance-to-AB conversion software that's extremely effective, and they've supposedly kept it up to date over the years --- so now they're able to do Reliance to Controllogix "like a breeze". Pricetag is probably astro-freakin-nomical though.

I had heard that the Logix was based somewhat on the Automax. I've used both and really dont see it but thats what I was told. I would be interested in seeing a conversion that worked well. Usually they are a mess even if they work. It's kinda like upgrading and still keeping your old system all at once. I'd put in a vote for Bob's method. Sounds like a solid method to be able to fall back on the existing system until you are comfortable with the new one. The way you can buffer your I/O in the logix, phase 2 should be relatively painless.

As of now this has turned into a real project, meaning the bean counters have allocated the $$$ to do the project. The original plan for this cpnversion was to build an entirely NEW control panel housing the new Logix PLC's and I/O racks. All communications to remote racks will be redundant ControlNet. The theory is to have the new control panel installed in a location in close proximity to teh existing Reliance AutoMate syste. We will cable-over from the new control panel to the old panel via AB pre-made I/O cables. AT the start of the conversion, we would then replace each Reliance I/O Rail wil a pre-fab terminal strip that would be labeled exactly the same as the Reliance Module. The new strip would then take the place of the Reliance module. This move effectively extends the field wiring to the new control panel. We are moving ahead with this design premise, but still wondering if there is anyone out there that has actually DONE a conversion similar to this.

I would think you are going to simply move the I/O off the Automate and onto the CLX? I guess the only part I am not sure of is the interactions of the AutoMate and the CLX. That may prove to be a real challenge I would pick a couple of the not critical I/O and get you layout figured out. You know, make the light turn off/on, bell ring, etc.