Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EvilToothpaste

Logix5000 V20 won't start

9 posts in this topic

Greetings. I couldn't believe that I am the first with this problem, but my search failed to find a topic. This started after my laptop battery died while online with a processor. The M.O. now is start Logix, splashscreen looks normal, takes about the usual amount of time displaying the splash screen, then it dissappears and there is nothing. No program, no errors. The process for RS5000.exe is in windows task manager, and more will show up each time the program is attempted, but there are no application for Logix visible. Here's what I have tried to fix this: -Reboot & launch. -Reboot. -Reboot & launch. -Power-off-on & launch. -Launch Logix five more times then wait an hour for it to miraculously start. -Reboot. -Reinstall Logix5000. -Reboot & launch. -Beg for help on the internet.

Are you using an older EVRSI activation or a Factory Talk activation?

FactoryTalk V3.50 is installed; I use a dongle to hold my activation.

I'll have something similar occasionally. All I've done is kill the process in task manager and try again. It generally works on the second attempt.

Interestingly, I have seen this happen before also. I did the same as you and things did start magically working again. I feel like I broke something bigger this time. Maybe it's a corrupted recovery file that hangs the program? No, the recovery window only pops up when one opens the project, unless I'm mistaken. I've tried opening the program without loading a project and there is no difference. At this point I am installing Logix onto a virtual machine I have with winXP. (I use VM's with FactoryTalk View already because it destroys your system's resources for all time, even when the program is not running). I'll let you know if it worked in about six hours -- when this massive beast of a pain-in-the-neck program is finally done installing. I can still run RSLinx and old RSL500, and everything activates and loads just fine.

I had this happen on my desktop pc which runs XP. My IT dept was ushing updates and one morning RSL5K would not start with the same symptoms you described. I went back to a previous restore point and all was well. I have since blocked automatic updates.

++1 for blocking automatic updates. I certainly wish I could block them, but our IS policies don't give me that level of authority even on my own work box. Go Figure.

I'm in the same situation as Bob, more's the pity. The only good news is that our maintenance laptops have all automation software running in vmware virtual machines that have no ability to connect to the corporate network and have automatic updates disabled.

Could try this. Registry entries regarding RS5000 became corrupted for an unknown reason when toggling settings in the toolbar menu. To reset RS5000 to factory default settings - internal settings and registry entries, close all instances of RS5000 on your machine. Then open RS5000 by holding ctrl+shift and pressing enter on the executable icon (do not let go of ctrl+shift keys yet). Once RS5000 opens with the start page present, let go of "ctrl+shift" keys. RS5000 has now been reset to factory default settings. Not sure if it will solve your problem but easy enough to try. Kindest Regards, chas183 Edited by chas183