Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HKU_MS

new to point IO

6 posts in this topic

Hi all; I have a project were I will be using point IO with an L3 compactlogix I have not used point IO before but have a pretty good understanding of the mechanics was just wondering if anyone had run into any off the book tips or tricks that might be helpful' or anything that could save me three or four hours of skull to wall impacts once I go to machine start up phase. I will be using a mixture of analog/temperature and digital IO I do not have any specialty IO to worry with right now.

What networking method are you using? I've only used the Ethernet/IP version, which is ridiculously simple to set up. Use BootP to set the IP address on the Point IO, add the Point IO (head module, then IO modules) to the project tree in RSLogix 5000 (just like adding regular IO cards, but on the Ethernet network instead). In the head module configuration, put in the IP address and number of modules. Then download to the PLC, go online, and open the head module configuration. On one of the tabs is an option to set the number of modules on the head module itself. The number should auto-populate from the earlier configuration. Click the button and you're done!

Thanks for the reply I will be using Ethernet/IP and from my project research it does look simple to set up. That said how hard would it be to manually enter the modules instead of auto populate I am setting up 74 IO points on 4 Ethernet modules but will not be able to connect these until very late in the project unless I do each one on the bench then send it out to be installed.

I've apparently confused the matter. The modules types, etc. do not auto-populate, you have to manually add them to the IO tree in RS Logix 5000, and that has to be offline. The only thing you do online with the actual system is to set the number of modules in each Point IO rack. You set the number in the head module configuration while offline, that's for the PLC. Then you download to the PLC and go online. While online, re-open the configuration for the head module of each Point IO rack and go to the tab (I think it's the last one) where you can set the number of modules on the head module itself. The number should be automatically set (i.e. auto-populated) to the number you put in the configuration while online. So, you will be able to do almost all the setup while offline.

The only gotcha I've ever run into with PointIO over EthernetIP is making sure to verify the processor has enough available CIP connections. It doesn't sound like you are going to have a problem with the IO you've listed, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Rockwell makes a pretty nice little program on their webite to help you determine how many CIP connections you'll need for your network. Figuring it out can be a little tricky sometimes. For instance, each PointIO head module requires a CIP connection as well as each analog module. Panelviews can eat up as many as 5 connections depending on what services you use withing the HMI program. Depending on which controller you're using those connections can disappear fairly quickly and figuring out why something is not talking can definitely cause you to lose a few brain cells and possibly require repairs to the nearest wall. Otherwise, my experience with PointIO over EthernetIP has been extremenly positive. Very easy to set up and works very reliably. Good luck to you. Edited by cbuysse

It looks like you've gotten good advice. I'd only make one suggestion. At least in the Control Logix world we've found it better that I/O Ethernet and Scada Ethernet not inhabit the same wires and subnets. There is a ton of stuff about this in the manuals as I recall. So read and follow RA directions would be my advice.