Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tingxing

replace servo motor with induction motor + encoder

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I wonder if in some cases servo motor can be replaced with induction motor + encoder. Because my primary concern is position accuracy, if the encoder is accurate enough, can stop position be adjusted anyway? I dont care much about speed. I expect to cut some cost by using this configuration. Thanks in advance. Ting

Hello Ting You can achieve excellent results with a flux-vector inverter (the 3G3RX family as you're posting in the Omron forum). It has built-in positioning and may do what you need. You need the additonal encoder card (3G3AX-PG01) I've used it by sending a position command (Modbus), although you can store 8 positions in the inverter, and select them with a binary pattern of inputs It can also use pulse and direction as a position command too; similar to a SmartStep. You'll need an encoder on your motor shaft, and possibly a force-vent fan for cooling. The 3G3MX2 inverter can do positioning, but it's open-loop so the positioning results aren't as good. Pp

Thank you very much! I am new to inverter. Our current configuration depends on the encoder feedback to understand the position. I am afraid your recommendation might be expensive. Previously Servo was used, and position control seemed not to be a problem. when we begin to use an induction motor, position problem arises probably due to rotation can not stop immediately. A solution is to use other motors with "brake" function. But , I think this wont be necessary, because it seems we can compensate the error. 1 degree resolution is good enough, but now we are using E6C3-A, with 1024 divisions. Is E6C3A enough? Ting

You can't stop a motor instantly. You can slow down when you're 'near' then stop on the target, which is better. I don't know if 1024 pulses are enough. How are you controlling position? You're results will never be as good as closed loop.

Thank you! My position control is realized only by reading the feedback from encoder. Just as you pointed out, slow down near the stop is a solution. Though not as good as closed loop, correction can be done according to encoder feedback, which might be just a kind of "close loop". 1024 pulse might be good enough - if 1 degree is necessary, 1024 division offers 360/1024= 0.35 degree resolution. where can I find some tutorial like materials so as to know how to use the devices(inverter) you recommended? Ting

'near' then stop on the target, which is better. ______________________________________________ FIFA 14 Coins