Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newbie guy

copying routine/task

6 posts in this topic

hello. does anyone have any info on how to copy tasks and routines within a rslogix 5000 project? can't seem to find any info on this and i suspect it's pretty easy.

right-click, copy right-click, paste rename

If I may add, you need to right click on Main Program to be able to paste.

A bit of advice: Look into the XML base Routine Export / Import function that was added in v17 and later. This allows you to carefully check for tag name conflicts and automatically create new tags when you copy a routine into a new Program in RSLogix 5000. If you're just copying and pasting a few rungs, the chore of creating new tags for each instruction isn't a big deal, but the Import/Export function formalizes the process and is a huge time-saver if you care copying large amounts of logic.

Edited by ScottyH

IN the olden days we did a project where we needed four of the same set of routines. We just wrote all the code with program scoped tags, and literally copied and pasted them between instances of the editor. I think it would prompt you for a new name if they were duplicate names in the destination file. At that time, the turn of the century actually, afterwards some of the tags had to be changed to controller scope for HMI access. This was pretty painless using search and replace very very carefully. With newer better HMI/Scada drivers you can access program scope tags directly, and only need to make controller scope tags for interlocking amongst programs. Edited by OkiePC