Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Benjamin

Automatic Tag Creation in Logix5000

5 posts in this topic

I have 10 ladders that are a duplicate of the 1st one with the only difference being the tag names. I've done a search and replace on the tags for the other 9 ladders and I was wondering if there is a way to have Logix5000 automatically create the tags with the default data type without me having to right click and create new? Thanks for your help.

An easier way to do this would have been to perform a Routine Export, do the search/replace offline in an XML or text editor, then perform a Routine Import. That process creates tags and checks for conflicts. The feature was added to RSLogix 5000 in version 17. If you've just done copy-paste, then you're going to have to spend some time right-clicking. You could probably speed the process up with Auto-Hotkey.

I took your suggestion in exporting and importing and it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help, it saved quite a bit of time.

Export/Import is the way to go. Just a general note, however, that the key combination ctrl-W is a shortcut to the "New Tag" context menu selection (i.e. Ken's right-clicking). In other words, it opens a dialog to create a new tag. If you have an undefined tag highlighted when you use the shortcut, it auto-populates the tag name with the undefined tag and the tag type with a default based on the instruction.

I do not see Export / Import of Routines. I know I can cut and paste or (Drag and drop) Routines with 2 applications of RS5000 running. Where is Export? My mistake. I am in the middle of a project where I am using Version 16 and Version 20. the Export did not happen until Version 17. I see it now. Edited by ScottyH