Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hisma

SLC DTM module card compatibility with CLX

6 posts in this topic

Hello All I asked this same question to our local AB reseller rep and he didn't know the answer. Maybe someone here might know! I am looking at attempting to replace an SLC rack with a CLX rack by doing the least amount of rewiring possible. We have our current SLC rack IO connected to 32-point DTM cards. Here is a picture of what they look like: (the image got flipped by imgur for some reason) You can see that all of our IO lands on these large cards, and then get outputted to an IDE-like connector which goes to the SLC chassis) Here is what the SLC chassis looks like: I circled where the DTM card connector goes. So, all of our IO is connected to these large card. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent connector for that IDE-like connection that goes from the DTM that would be compatible with a CLX rack? Basically, my company wants to avoid having to rewire all of our IO, which would require us to recommission all of our connected IO. Can it be done? Or is there simply not a compatible cable that could be used for CLX?

I think each of the DTM's are going to each of the cards in slot 1-4. I know that AB does have the PLC5 to 1756 conversion kits I am pretty sure you'l have to either get to rewire the terminal blocks on the SLC. Even with a custom cable you will have to reland the card end. I kow there is a lot of experience here too, and maybe someone else has been-there-done-that/

Take a look at this and maybe it will help.... http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1747-um076_-en-e.pdf Edited by Bob O

excellent, I appreciate the responses. I am taking a look at the documentation you guys provided. A conversion kit would be most ideal. I looked at the documentation for the Ethernet/IP adapter, and it seems to require all of the latest hardware/software revisions, which we simply aren't using (all of our CLX controllers are on v15 firmware) That does look like an interesting solution however. I will pass it along and see what the "higher-ups" think. In the meantime, I will look more into the adapter which was posted by a062549 (btw a062549, you are correct in that each DTM is going to each I/O card in the chassis, 6 in all. The only exception is the AO card at the end, which is hard-wired)

so, after looking at our rough documentation, it appears that this will exactly fit our needs. Brilliant! Thanks so much for this.

Hi guys so after doing some research, I found out all we have to do is replace the cable. We're using a standard 1492 cable to plug into the 1746 IO module currently. The DTM we're using, which is a Weidmuller EA25244, uses a standard 40-pin AB 1492 cable. They actually make 1492 cables that are pre-wired to plug straight in to a CLX chassis. MUCH easier than using a converter. Phew!!
1 person likes this