Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Lloyd

CLX Software XP vs Win 7

8 posts in this topic

I am currently running V19 CLX software on XP. A coworker is trying to install V20 for the first time (clean install, never used CLX software before) and I recommended that he install all versions since we have a tendency to acquire older systems. The problem is that older versions of CLX are apparently not compatible with Win7? My first question is Why would AB do that? Why write software that is only compatible with Win 7 and V20 only? My other question is- Is there an alternative for him? I am still on XP, for now, so I suppose that legacy systems could be upgraded to V19 at least through my laptop. How does AB expect us to maintain legacy systems as the IT Dept rolls out new OS that doesn't support the software that supports the older processors?

1. RSLogix 5000 Rev.20 (released less than a year ago) will run on any Win7 OS and WinXP Pro SP3 only; far from trying to root for RA, you have to remember what date is today and how old WinXP is. 2. It looks like the future is Virtual Guest OSs on "modern" Host OSs and the attached RA OS Support Matrix kinda confirms my assumption. I am personally running several VMs (Win2000, XPSP1, XPSP2 and XPSP3) using VMware Workstation on a Win7 Pro 64-bit machine; decades old RA software is performing flawlessly on virtual machines running the supported OS). The only temporary issues I have experienced were related to peripherals' drivers, which will need to "connect" to the Host OS first and then "networked" to the Guest; when nothing was available (due to the age of the devices) we have managed to write our own drivers. And one more...One cannot expect the manufacturer to indefinitely support aging products...It is not business friendly... RA OS Support Matrix 04_12.xls

I dont know about v20,But i was able to install v18,v19 in win7

I am showing my age here, but I can recall the Windows 95 to XP transition and all the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Turned out we got to love XP and the Software that ran on it. I can only hope history repeats itself in the positive aspects and leaves the negatives behind.

IT has no business dictating Machine Control and Engineering. That's my opinion. I live off the grid - it's the best decision I ever forced down their throat.

Yeah but can he open a V16 file running V20? That's the dilemma

Agreed. However, my boss is an IT guy. I aaaaalmost didn't go to work for this company for that reason. But... he's been assimilated and hasn't been an issue.

No, V16 needs to be installed in any computer that wants to open a V16 file. Same is true for any version. V17, etc can only open a V17 file - so forth and so on for any version. But thats not what this thread is about. Its about what OS is required to install the different versions of software.